VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange presumptive prostate cancer claim files in April 2021 still waiting wondering if there is a problem

Rate this question

Signcavah

Question

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in early April 2021 by the VA. I am verified to being herbicide exposed in Vietnam by the VA. No one (VSO, Peggy ) seems to have a clue why this is moving so slowly. 

I just had another biopsy which again verified the cancer. I have a preop next week to plan  surgery to ease my urinary complications. My understanding was that this should have been a fairly quick process to complete this claim. e-benefits has been showing out for decision for several months. The woman at the Peggy number said she thought this was way to long for a decision and was going to write a letter to someone looking for an answer. I`m stumped  as to finding a way to get some sort of information. My VSO told me he could help then made a call to Peggy and put it on speaker for me. I was speechless. Thanked him and left ! 

Since everyone asks, my disabilities are hearing@ 50%,tinitis 10%.metaralgia 10%,PTSD 70% =90%.  

yes I was verified for herbicide exposure in letter from VA. Blue water 3 tours. I have managed to get my A1C numbers below threshold for diabetes. I am now at high level of pre diabetes so for now I will not pursue that claim

I still have the neuropathy. That has not changed so I will file on that as the decision letter recommended. I do not want to do anything to lose the 100% at this time.

Edited by Signcavah

Congratulations on your win!!!

I agree the effective date "smells fishy", and when it smells fishy, you can be sure something is rotten nearby.  Most likely:  If your C and p exam (or other exam) does not state "the date the disability began", they often use the date of the c and p exam.  Remember, your effective date is the later of Facts found (the date the doc said your disability began) or the date you applied.  

SMC S (housebound) is about another $370'ish dollars per month.  Its awarded routinely in prostate cancer cases.  

Dont get too used to this income, because, VA loves to award 100 percent plus smc for prostate cancer, then reduce it if your treatments are effective after 1 year or so.  (Unless, of course, your decision says its permanent.  ). 

This is a good time to apply for additional disabilities "just in case" the prostate goes into remission.  (Thats a good thing..very good).  

We dont know if the smc s is convalscent (when you have surgery, va often gives smc s temporary, while recovering "if" you meet the applicable criteria) or permanent, but your decision may so state.  

Dont forget your extra 100 percent bennies, such as education (DEA) for kids, state benefits, such as property tax deduction or free property tax, and your 10,000 of no cost life insurance.  (premiums waived).  

I got my 10,000 life insurance I think it was 2007.  I could cash it in for about 5999

I got retro back to 2020 check is in the bank.  ED as secondary to prostate cancer was denied. reason was, they did not find a link between my medical condition and military service But then they say there is a favorable finding . I have been diagnosed with a disability. Providence VAMC show a diagnosis of erectile disfunction in May 2018 .

This has continued being treated since. I assumed that the ED would be secondary to the PC. I have had elevated PSA for several years. And finally had a biopsy confirming the cancer in 2021. This year another positive biopsy . At least it is slow growing, so far. They are calling for watchful waiting after the TRU surgery this month.

My question is , should I apply for the ED secondary to my 70% PTSD.  I am going to wait and ask my psych Dr next week if he feels the ED would be secondary. We have been discussing the issue over the past several years,

• HadIt.com Elder

Your meds for s-c disability may cause ED. Check the adverse affects on the med sheet. If it can, ask your Doc if he thinks there could be a link. If yes, ask him to please put a note in your encounter notes to that effect. If not, get it from a urologist on the outside. The Favorable finding probably means that you have evidence of a diagnosis of ED; it's misleading. You still need a medical opinion of a link.