Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused

Rate this question

Aviationtech

Question

4 answers to this question

I read if a veteran has a artificial sphincter implant it is considered an appliance and the rating would be 60%. For example. Veteran has 40% rating for incontinence. The condition continues to worsen urologist suggest surgery to improve condition, surgery happens with implant does the VA at that point adjust the rating. I don’t believe it’s a SMC issue but it may be. 

Great point.  When a Veteran gets a leg amputated, and the applicable disability rating, they dont reduce his rating after fitting him with an artificial leg, suggesting,"well, we gave you your leg back, so what are you complaining about?" 

While it would not surprise me if VA tries something like that, it rarely happens and would be overturned on appeal.  

If your life would be improved, or you think it would, by having this procedure, go for it.  You never want to put your health above money.  Never.  We sacraficed life and limb while in the military, but we are out, now, and we dont want to sacrafice our health for money.  Tho, some of done this, most have regretted it.  

Personally, I have a replacement knee (Total knee replacement).  While my leg fracture DID occur in service, I no longer seek compensation for my replacement knee, because, its moot, as I think Im "maxed out" at 100 percent plus SMC S.  (Considering my level of disability).  

In other words, Im not gonna keep fighting VA any longer, as I feel I won and have nothing to gain by fighting.  

Your situation is likely different, so my advice is to get the surgery "but only" if you are convinced the potential for "lifes rewards" outweigh the risks.  I can see the life benefits if this works.  

Again, if you think the surgery life improvement, out weighs the risks, go for it.  Ask a lot of questions.  Get answers before you consent to the surgery.  But I dont suggest basing your surgery decision solely on money.  Health over money.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet is spot on. It is always take life improvement over the money. Everytime. I would also add that you check the reputation on any surgeon that's going to do a procedure on you on the internet. You will have a pre-surgery eval with the surgeon, ask him questions about risks and residual effects, and especially, is he the one doing the surgery on you or someone else. If it isn't him personally, why check him out?