Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson's Disease vs Parkinsonism

Rate this question

Jayco

Question

Been diagnosed by one doctor that I have Parkinsonism, but in parentheses states most likely Parkinson's.  Another doctor diagnosed my condition as just Parkinson's.  For some reason VA has picked to rate me on Parkinsonism.   At my physical doctor said it was definitely Parkinson's.

Should I be concerned?  Does VA rate both conditions in the same manner?

Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The two terms are synonymous. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

According to Davis Phinney:

Parkinsonism, also called atypical Parkinson’s or Parkinson’s plus, is the umbrella term used to describe a group of neurological problems. Interestingly, Parkinson’s represents only 10-15% of all diagnosed cases of parkinsonism. Parkinson’s is caused mainly by the degeneration of nerve cells in the brain, while the causes of parkinsonism are numerous, ranging from the side effects of medications to chronic head traumas to metabolic diseases to toxins to neurological diseases.

Source:  https://davisphinneyfoundation.org/parkinsons-vs-parkinsonism/#:~:text=Parkinson's is caused mainly by,to toxins to neurological diseases.

For practical purposes, "its probably best" not to argue with VA about which one you have.  The way I read the above is that  your doc may have done you a favor with the Parkinsonism label.  

Has VA denied you on this, or is it about the disability percentage?  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I definitely agree with Broncovet: claim them both. But most importantly, do an honest eval of your symptoms, as there are many additional residual disabilities that may apply. See a recent BVA decision Citation Nr. 1810586 dated 2-21-18 With Parkinson's, residuals are very important

20 hours ago, broncovet said:

According to Davis Phinney:

Source:  https://davisphinneyfoundation.org/parkinsons-vs-parkinsonism/#:~:text=Parkinson's is caused mainly by,to toxins to neurological diseases.

For practical purposes, "its probably best" not to argue with VA about which one you have.  The way I read the above is that  your doc may have done you a favor with the Parkinsonism label.  

Has VA denied you on this, or is it about the disability percentage?  

Neither.  I just submitted the claim for Parkinson's and saw Parkinsonism.  It threw me.