Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What would you do? C/P QTC medical?

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

I just received two letters  from QTC Medical. They never contacted me by phone to set up any appointments.  Yet they have scheduled two appointment in a local strip mall. I called them and told them I would not attend any appointments, they did not call me and if they had I would have told them I do not do appointments with VA contractors. They always screw something up, and takes a year  or more to get a copy of the exam. I told them if the va wants me to do an appointment the va needs to call me and set it up at the local VA. No more contractors for me.  Also he wanted more personal information from me, and I would not give him anything except the account number on the letter and my name. He said he had to know my date of birth and all kinds of stuff or he could not help me. I said your not getting any more personnal information. I don't know you and I don't put out information.  I am really Pis@ed abnout this garbage. Now to write the va and tell then. I don't have any idea what the exam is for and the paperwork says nothing, which is another problem with the contractors. What would youi do.

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

Just call your local VAMC and speak with someone in comp and pen..ask for who orders exams locally.  

Or go there and ask them.  

I plan on stopping by the C/P section when I go to the va this Friday. I have also written a letter to the Intake center explaining why I will not attend the exams.  But like I said I do not do well on long trips. In Texas nothing is really local they have sent me 40 -150 miles somethimes for an exam. I just can't do that anymore.  And I don't want the va sending my information all over the place. I actually had a VA employee steal my SSAN about 15 years ago, and this is why I am against giving my information out. It took me a year to clean up the mess that employee made with my credit. He ended up in jail, as I was not the only veteran he screwed over. In the past these contractors would call and ask me when I could go to an exam. This time they did not call, just sent me a packet for two exams one for an xray and one for a  NP. I haven't made any claims that would require an xray, so this is weird. Anyway, I will find out what it was for, and I am not really concerned about it other than the va should not be giving out our information without asking us. I even when on line at ebenefits and indicated no one at all should receive my medical information.  They don't care they do it anyway.

2 hours ago, MilvetHD said:

you must attend or at a minimum reschedule

No I don't have to attend.  I was never contacted, and if I had been I would not have agreed to any appointment. It would be different if they would send you to a local hospital or clinic every time, but they don't. The send you all over the place to anyone who is willing to do a c/p exam, and usually its not a doctor, but a NP. 

Up until the last two years, its hit or miss, they had always done the C/P exams at the VA. Now you never know, and I swear in most cases the people they want you to see are younger than your own kids.... 

I say I don't have to attend, because I never gave the va any indication I would allow them to farm my medical information out. The VA should be mopre respectful  of the veteran. If a veteran doesn't want to go ourside the system they should honor his request. It would be different if they were sending me outside for medical care, but this is an exam nothing more. If fact when the va says they can't give me an appointment, I go on base, or I use medicare and go were I want to go. 

These contractors cause a lot of problems for the veterans,, they never do the exam correctly, and you wait and wait to get a copy of the exam and sometimes never get a copy, in the meantime you only have so much time to appeal a claim, and the va knows this, and seems to be another way to make you go away. So I have decided, I will not do another c/p exam outside the va system.  I am too old and too sick to be travling all over the place for a 10-20 minute exam.

I am lucky because the va can't hurt me after all these years, but if I were younger or not 100% I might not buck the system.  So I say for those guys not 100% or P&T , don't do what I do, because it may miss you up. But really no one should be forced into an exam with a strange person at a strange location.

You posted:

No I don't have to attend.  I was never contacted, and if I had been I would not have agreed to any appointment. 

I just received two letters  from QTC Medical. They never contacted me by phone to set up any appointments.  

Va has something called a "presumption of regularity".  This means if VA sent a letter to your last known address on file, "its presumed" you got it.  

Some Vets do not have a phone (I was one of them at one time), and sending a letter as notice of an exam would suffice as the Veteran knowing about the exam.  

I cant say if this letter was a scam or not. (There are many scammers who target Veterans)  I have not seen it.   However,  If the VA requests information from the Veteran, and the Veteran refuses to provide it, then that can result in a denial.  VA has to have documentation of your illness or injury, including medical documentation, and you have to consent to provide that, or expect a denial.  

A Veterans refusal to comply with VA's request for (medical documentation) can be a basis for denial.  

I agree, most of us dont want our medical information floating around.  And, I agree I dont like that hundreds, if not thousands, of VA employees (and VSO's) have access to very personal information.  And, I dont like QTC or other companies that VA hires to do c and p exams.  

But this company Must review your files.  If you hire a private physician (which you can, if you choose), then this doc must state he "reviewed your files".  This documents the doctor rendering an opinion, knows your medical history.  

You get to choose whether to fight VA on this or not.  While I dont like it either, I find, with the VA and the police, its usually not a good idea to co operate with those in charge.  

Its my opinion that you are setting yourself up for a big (legal) fight with VA, and they have on staff about 500 lawyers at their disposal.  

Im willing to fight VA..but not on "principals". (Such as QTC getting your medical records and asking you to go to a NON VA place for the exam).   If Im gonna fight them, I wont do it unless I have a decent chance at compensation.  If I want to change how the VA does stuff, I could become a politician or try to become a "high up" VA rule maker.  Im not going there, so I have to comply..like it or not.  

My advice, is to contact VA to verify that they hired qtc to do a required c and p exam, or is this letter some type of a scam.  I dont know which.  But, if you can verify that VA requested QTC to do an exam, and you refuse to attend an exam, you will likely be denied benefits.  (Or reduced, if this is a reduction exam).  

Some things are worth fighting for.  Mr. Cue seems to have done this.  Im interested to see how his turns out.  He alleges the VA already has the medical information, but requests multiple exams as a delay tactic.  

Please keep us informed of your result.  

I got that same message.

QTC has scheduled you an exam.

I contacted them and asked them WTH?? My wife is my VA Caregiver, so she has to be available. The first one they scheduled was almost 2 hours away. I called and they said it was the closest. After laughing for 20 minutes i asked if they needed me to research QTC examiners closer.

I dont remeber ever being asked if they could release my private information to an examiner, good question to ask them, but it is probably in the 5 page of nonsens they send from Janesville

On 7/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, broncovet said:

"its presumed"

They can presume anything, but prusume won't hold up in a court of law. See this is the problem the VA says something and everyone seems to want to kiss butt.

If I have not been called concering any appointment in the vA or otherwise, don't send me a letter or a reminder and tell me I have an appointment. I  decide which

appointments I wlll attend. I don't take orders from anyone.  This is really crazy, since when to grown adults quiver at the name of the VA.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, broncovet said:

If you hire a private physician (which you can, if you choose), then this doc must state he "reviewed your files". 

True, but this is a choice you make, I am not setting myself up for a fight with anyone. I just came to the conclusion that I am not going outside the system for VA c/p exams. For that matter I will not go outside the system for VA community care.  If the va cannot treat me than I will go somewhere else of my chosing.  I cannot remember how many times I went to private examiners for my left eye. Over and Over again the VA sent me to different doctors, every time I appealed their denial. How is it I had to attend 5 or 6 exams for the same eye within 6 months?  I remember in 2008 when they va first screwed up the surgery on my eye, and had me go to C/P exams at the VA in San Antonio, they they scheduled another one  at the VA in Temple Texas, that had been canceled but they failed to notify me, and then they sent me to VA clinic in Austin. And 3 or 4 private doctors in between. And each time getting the same result.  I don't know about most vets, but I just don't want people playing games with my life. 

I did stop at the C/P exam Clinic in Temple last Friday. I was informed they have nothing to do with where you go for an examination.  They told me thay get contacted to do exams and they just do them. The guy told me he suspects it works the same way with the contractors.

So now I will starty a new topic about C/P exams specifically ACE.