Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ACE C&P exams

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

This is ironic, On monday I was called by the VA from a Lady to do an ACE  C/P exam. You know the one were they call you after reviewing your medical records and ask you a few questions about the conditiion. In this case the  VA had already done an ACE exam, two years ago, the case was returned to the local level by the BVA, so they are doing the same thing all over again.

Today, if you can believe it, I was called for another ACE exam, this was for a new issue, in fact the only issue in the system except the one menitioned above. I claimed GERD , secondary to my COPD medications,  I received a call for a lady at the VA ( Caller ID)  and asked me to verify my birthday, which I did, then she started asking me questions about my GERD. I told her my symptoms, the problems I was having and why I suspected my COPD meds were causing the problem. I asked her was she asked to give a medical opinion, and she would not answer my question. Really, why is it so hard to tell me yes or no.  

I say ironic because as I mentioned in another post, I refused to attend C/P exams that were scheduled by a contractor, in which I refused to go,  mainly because I had not been called by anyone about this, and I don't want my information all over the place.  So now all of a suden I get to ACE exams for the only two claims in the system. Something is not right in Denmark as they say.

I just don't get it anymore.

So now I wonder what were those appointments for that I refused to attend in a strip mall.  The letters did not say so I guess I will never know.

I also did mall the va a letter concerning those appointment on Saturday, its to soon for them to respond, ,if they respond to my questions about the exams at all.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I would be suprised if you got a response.  VA posits that, if a Veteran wants questions answered, he should ask his or her VSO.  So, many employees simply decline to answer our questions.  

VA employees often take the position that, "if we spent all our time on the phone answering Veterans questions, we would never get any work done."  

I dispute that its more efficient to not answer questions, because it often leads to additional appeals, (and more VA resources squandered), when it could have been resolved with a phone call and some direct answers.  

I have probably written VA 20 or more letters, that were never responded to or ever addressed.  I got used to it.  

Remember, we dont have to understand "why" VA does something, such as ask for another exam, but we do have to comply with VA regulations, or expect a denial.  

There could be many reasons a second, or third exam is requested.  Some are that the first exam did not answer all the questions, such as etiology, documenting symptoms, or date the condition first began.  

Or, as someone pointed out, the VA could, indeed be "doctor shopping" for a doc who gives an excuse to deny.  While the VA is not supposed to "develop to deny", I know I dont always follow all the rules.  Do you drive 70mph in a 65mph zone?  I often do.  Im not strictly following the law.  Im much better at it now, however, and usually dont exceed the speed limit.  It makes for a less stressful life, and more content.  I dont worry about a police car, as Im in full compliance of the law.  I use the cruise control to make sure I dont accidently speed.  

If we do this, and most of us do, its likely all VA employees dont fully comply with all laws either.  

Do you think that this is one of these situations that we should message our primary care team or general inquiry? 

IE, I have a c&p exam, requires me to travel such and such distance. You as my primary care and know my medication list and my medical conditions. Is it safe for me to travel?

Or something to that nature so that it is in your medical notes instead of sending in a statement of support. 

15 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

I say ironic because as I mentioned in another post, I refused to attend C/P exams that were scheduled by a contractor, in which I refused to go,  mainly because I had not been called by anyone about this, and I don't want my information all over the place.  So now all of a suden I get to ACE exams for the only two claims in the system. Something is not right in Denmark as they say.

Original or supplemental claim, or claim for increase. When a claimant fails to report for an examination scheduled in conjunction with an original compensation claim, the claim shall be rated based on the evidence of record. When the examination was scheduled in conjunction with any other original claim, a supplemental claim for a benefit which was previously disallowed, or a claim for increase, the claim shall be denied.

eCFR :: 38 CFR 3.655 -- Failure to report for Department of Veterans Affairs examination.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:25 AM, broncovet said:

he should ask his or her VSO

I do not use a VSO, In my opinion most do not really know what is going on.  I think a lot of them exist just to say they are a VSO.  I learned this when I was a Chapter Service Officer, most VSO's want a claim they are sure to win, other wise they will not bother. I have as much knowledge as any VSO, I just don't have the direct connection to the VA anymore. 

Anyway I am not trying to be a butt head. Whewn I say its hard for me to travel over 30 minutes that is they truth. Remember I am in a power wheel chair, with COPD and Blind in one eye. The chair is uncomfortable to travel in more than 30 minutes. MY son lives in San Antoinio, a 2-3 hour ride. When I make that ride I stop at least 3 times and then It takes me  three or four days to feel like myself again.  I am also on A&A and don't drive much anymore, unless my wife is not home and I must be some where, usually no more than 2 or 3 miles.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, El Train said:

they probably assume the condition has gotten better and reduce you

My issues are too old to be reduced. While I don't know what the two exam was for, they should have at least told me that much. But as I told them I can't travel much more than 30 minutes at a time and it makes no sense when there are medical hospitals, and clinics in the immediate area, for me to be going far any way.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, Whodat said:

we should message our primary care team

I can't say my primary care are good for anything except refilling pills. My Primary care doctor, won't even refer me to a clinic, he tells me to call my self. The last time I saw him he tried to minister to me, and get me to accept Christ. I am allready a Christian, and don't mind talking about Christ, but he was way out of line, I see him for medical care not moral or spiritual guidance.