Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Avoiding VA Contact

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

I have a % that I am very happy with but would like to avoid any communication with VA that will 'trigger' any digging into my file. As you can see, I have trust issues with VA. 

I want to call in to request decision letters for each disability (and to also see if VA has requested C&P exam for anything).  *Does this awake the sleeping giant to dig into my file?

I avoid benefits such as free toll-road fees for disabled vets in Texas. Is this sensible or too paranoid?

I have Tricare for my family (Reservist) but am paying out of pocket (cash/not using insurance) for my vasectomy. Because I don't want them linking me getting a vasectomy to the mental health rating.

Is this all sensible or am I being too paranoid?

• Community Owner
6 hours ago, glashutte said:

Very good advice thank you. 

Can they obtain documents such as decision letters for each disability? 

Do they ever report things to the VA? For example, if I have a rating for anxiety but is controlled by medications and then the county VSO sees me as 'normal' when I am on meds...can he/she message the VA and say something like  "I believe this veteran to not have anxiety in my opinion from my interaction"

You need to ask the person at the state office if you signup to have them be your VSO if they will have print access to you file. If not they are not fully certified as a Veterans Advocate. In my state office there is only one person who has that kind of access to your file. The other two can look and file forms bur doesn't have the same level access or don't know how to use it. The print thing will have a lot of importance because you will want copies of some of the doc's you talked about above.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 8/12/2022 at 6:04 PM, brokensoldier244th said:

You telling the VA they can't bill your insurance is funny- because they don't have to listen you at all.  They are required to recoup costs, and their billing your insurance satisfies your deductable so it's not hurting you. Legally, they are required to bill if you have insurance on record. I really don't see the problem.

I know what you mean. It's funny because the VA has almost always tried to bill for everything SC or not.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 8/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, Carl the Engineer said:

Too many Veterans don't get the benifits they deserve or apply for increase when they should, and a bunch won't do anything at all (like my brother) to even start the process for compensation or benifits, because "someone" told them to avoid the VA at all costs, etc.

This! And the VA does not go out of their way to let veterans know that they actually CAN file for increases when things get worse or for secondary conditions related to the disability or side effects of treatment for it.

• Community Owner

The only way you can get your benefit's is to. 1. Apply.  2. talk to them about your problem. There is a lot of paranoid advice put out by the barracks layers and dumb VSO about the VA digging in your file to try and take away your benefit's. most of it is BS by someone who has no idea.  When a VSO starts talking BS I drop them like a hot potato. 

Edited by Rattler767