Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Avoiding VA Contact

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

I have a % that I am very happy with but would like to avoid any communication with VA that will 'trigger' any digging into my file. As you can see, I have trust issues with VA. 

I want to call in to request decision letters for each disability (and to also see if VA has requested C&P exam for anything).  *Does this awake the sleeping giant to dig into my file?

I avoid benefits such as free toll-road fees for disabled vets in Texas. Is this sensible or too paranoid?

I have Tricare for my family (Reservist) but am paying out of pocket (cash/not using insurance) for my vasectomy. Because I don't want them linking me getting a vasectomy to the mental health rating.

Is this all sensible or am I being too paranoid?

On 8/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, brokensoldier244th said:

Roadside assistance/toll fees are state. Nothing to do with us. Requesting decision letters goes through public contact, nothing to do with claims. We're don't access medical records unless it's part of a claim, it's a violation of privacy laws. We have to have release from you to log into VHA, And it's tracked. 

Hello again. 

This is my thought process with a vasectomy and not using Tricare and paying cash so it is not linked to VA though Tricare. 

-If one day VA decides to look at my mental health rating, they may see “hey let’s pull all of his medical records from exiting the army to current day and dig through it to see if it can lower his depression rating. Then after looking through all my medical records (since they can see it through Tricare), they see the vasectomy and question my depression. 

I’m more concerned with VA digging through my medical history (after army to current day). Is this accurate or just way off?

We have to request access to your VHA and Tricare records and have a legitimate reason, and every instance is audited. What does a vasectomy have to do with a MH rating? I have a high MH rating and a vasectomy, and had for years before my current job. One has nothing to do with the other. 

I would say way, way, way off, once a veteran is rated, the VA does not have the time or manpower to go through the veteran’s records unless there has been some type of reported fraud committed and then it would have to be proven in order for the VA to try to re-evaluate the veteran’s ratings. Even when veterans file new claims, the VA typically just address the new claim issues and they may order an exam to see if they should increase the already service-connected disability but that is about it. Also, the VA has been cutting back on making regular medical appointments. Most appointments are done over the phone or computer and maybe they order lab test but that is about it. I would say you have nothing to worry about unless you have done something wrong.

• Community Owner
20 hours ago, glashutte said:

Hello again. 

This is my thought process with a vasectomy and not using Tricare and paying cash so it is not linked to VA though Tricare. 

-If one day VA decides to look at my mental health rating, they may see “hey let’s pull all of his medical records from exiting the army to current day and dig through it to see if it can lower his depression rating. Then after looking through all my medical records (since they can see it through Tricare), they see the vasectomy and question my depression. 

I’m more concerned with VA digging through my medical history (after army to current day). Is this accurate or just way off?

You need to get this. The people doing the ratings for you do not have time to go through all your recorders. And this is for others that might be reading this. ONLY file the Doc's that prove your claim. The VA due to time constraints of how much time they can spend on each claim DO NOT have time to read through the 1100 pages of medical records that some Vet's submit.  IF you are ratted unless you give them a reason ( fraud etc. lying to the VA) to look at you they are not going to do a deep dive into your VA records alone let alone your Tricare.  My C-File is 3908+ pages. There is no way someone ratting me is going to read through all that unless you give them a reason.  You may get someone at the VA that will not read enough to give you a good ratting but reading 2 weeks worth of records is not likely going to happen on something not related to you claim is not going to happen.