Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

Hypertension was recently added to the Agent Orange presumptive list, by the Pact Act. How is your rating determined? I understand your BP has to be a certain Systolic and Diastolic number but I don't know how that is measured if you are taking medication for BP. Anybody know?

Edited by capitan

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your actuals doesn't meet the high bar, those are the rules. If it is marginal, that's better than having to take meds, and the disability itself. Find out what you can do to keep it below limits, like lose some weight and minimize salt etc. Most of us would rather not have the disability and symptoms than the money the VA pays out for service-connection IMHO.

That is great advice. However for me, 160 pounds is far from being overweight in my case. Salt, if I do use salt, it's very minimal. Could it be from the meds that I am taking for my sc conditions? Naw, it couldn't be. Maybe it's age related.  

• HadIt.com Elder

This is one reason to get care at a VA hospital.  All your records are right there for the VA to see.  The VA has followed me for HBP for years. I got the AO big three: Heart disease, diabetes and HBP.  I have already outlived every male in my family for four generations.  I have had some really incompetent C&P exams over the years.  Lately they have made errors in my favor.  I won't correct them.

Just received a letter from VA. They denied any backpay for Hypothyroidism. Claimed it was caused by chemo/radiation treatment for AO tongue cancer ten years ago, and I'm already being compensated. I disagree and think it should have been 30%, since I met those requirements, and not 0%. But since I'm 100% P&T I'm not going to contest it. Unless I bring it up to my appeals attorney.  My Pact Act Hypertension claim is still pending. Don't expect anything from that. I am pleased with what my lawyer and VSO did, but disappointed with VA and VBA. So much for my love/hate relationship with USMC. Still going to put in a claim for Camp Lejeune when I can decide on an attorney.