VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent not on award

Rate this question

Joey Ross

Question

I added my new wife yesterday on benefits, the claim is closed, and she is listed but not on award. Is it now just a waiting game for her to be on award or is there something else I need to do?

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It is going to go thru a different loop, financial, and it shouldn't take too long. You should be getting the increase based on dependents. Go onto VA.gov and get into the "letters" section to see if there are changes made yet. Call Peggy, 800-827-1000 ,and ask them if it in the works. If you don't get any change in a few weeks max, I'd request an audit. Most of the time, it is just a slow roll but it gets done eventually.

5 hours ago, GBArmy said:

It is going to go thru a different loop, financial, and it shouldn't take too long. You should be getting the increase based on dependents. Go onto VA.gov and get into the "letters" section to see if there are changes made yet. Call Peggy, 800-827-1000 ,and ask them if it in the works. If you don't get any change in a few weeks max, I'd request an audit. Most of the time, it is just a slow roll but it gets done eventually.

Thank you

• Greeter

Yeah it takes them a long time to do things. You have done everything possible in claiming your spouse. Last I checked it took 3 months for my wife claim to go through.

Hi, @Joey Ross, mine got approved today. It went from a dependent not on benefits finally to a dependent on benefits, after 140 days. I will make another post about contacting VA to get this done....not to hijack your post.

I think it is through the Benefits Eligibility Support Team Manager "BEST" (no phone) department. 

image.png.0175dede04d14f384bbfe3759780c984.png

Its unrealistic to expect VA to process a claim, even dependents, you added yesterday.  You need to repeat this over and over, because understanding this may help you with VA claims:

VA always has a financial incentive to delay your claim, no matter the outcome.  

I will give 3 examples, all of which PROFIT VA (at your expense) to delay you.  All of these have happened.  

1.  VA suceeds in delaying you "until you die", and your widow neglects to file a "substitution of claimanant" fast enough.  Your family looses the benefits, VA wins.  

2.  VA delays you so long that your health declines and you get so frustrated you finally give up.  VA wins, YOU lose.  

3. VA delays your benefits through multiple, multiple denials, and delays, like they did me.  I finally "won", but lost all of the interest and was paid at 2002 VA rates in 2020, with no interest, even tho, the stuff I bought in 2020 cost 2020 inflation prices, not 2002 prices when I applied.  I estimated I still lost tens of thousands of dollars in interest INCLUDING THE FACT I lost my home because I could not afford the house payments.  

As long as it remains profitable for VA to delay your beneifts, expect it to continue.  I mean, gee, I would.  If you could pay your electric bill in 10 years, with no interest, why would you pay it today?