VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Tax Exemption Visible to Public?

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

Hello, sorry I am unsure where to post this.

I have a disabled rating %, and with my property tax exemption with my county the Public record shows exactly what it is. For example it may show DV60 publically. And a simple search of the glossary anyone can see 'Disabled Veteran 60%'. 

I do not want anyone to know about my disabilty rating. 

How can I pull this down or make private??

In WI, if you are 100 or IU, you still pay your property tax, but you get it back when you file your State taxes at the end of the year.  If you don't owe any taxes or would normally not get a refund, the State still cuts you a check for your property taxes you paid.  There is a form that you fill out and send in the first year proving your 100 or IU, and then its in the system.  I filled for the first time last year and it worked great.  This will be my second year.

No one at my local Town or County would know that I get that back from the State.  Except, probably the CVSO, who wouldn't tell.  You'd think.

On Wisconsin,

Carl

• HadIt.com Elder

Nobody cares about my disabled status to tell the truth.  There are lots of disabled vets here in Tampa.    I live in an area now where I have the cheapest house in the neighborhood because I bought it 35 years ago.  I worked for about 30 years to get 100%.  If someone thinks I am getting over due to being disabled I would laugh in their face.  In Florida if you are P&T you get a total exemption from property tax. I think other people who are totally disabled, but not vets, also get the exemption.  There are so many elderly people down here that giving those who are disabled a tax exemption is a smart political move.  Old farts tend to vote in Florida.

• Community Owner
On 10/21/2022 at 4:24 PM, Vync said:

Here in Alabama, it is public record. Last week, I looked up the details for my house and neighbors around me. I have a $0 listed and those savings go towards helping to take care of my young children. In Alabama, property taxes are lower than much of the country. 

Correct me if I am wrong Vync but they don't post if you are a disabled Vet hear in AL in the property tax records it just states you are exempt.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
33 minutes ago, Rattler767 said:

Correct me if I am wrong Vync but they don't post if you are a disabled Vet hear in AL in the property tax records it just states you are exempt.

It depends on the county and where you look. For example, mine shows this:

image.png.de7d68db989dfd92e4bba6e432cc4f11.png

It shows the DISABILITY CODE of "D". However, it does not indicate that I am a disabled veteran.

• Community Owner

That's kind of what I thought I had the "D" long before the VA 100% me. Thanks for the response.