VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 (DEA)

Rate this question

Faith Chmielewski

Question

5 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Faith Chmielewski said:

My question is, am I required to live in my parent's residency in order to remain eligible for the benefits specified under Chapter 35 DEA? 

Nope, after being granted/awarded 100% P & T, I contacted my daughter that lives in another state to use this benefit. She neither lived with me or her mother and everything was fine with the VA. The funds are paid to you and not the veteran. 

Survivors’ And Dependents’ Educational Assistance | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)

• HadIt.com Elder

That money might pay for a state school tuition. It is not going to pay for room and board plus tuition I don't think.  Still that is some money.

Chapter 35 is for dependents of a disabled Vet.   Depending on your age, you are pretty much assumed to be a dependent of your parent.  Is the guardian paying for your household expenses, and do they claim you as a dependent?  

There are age limits to use your chapter 35..along with a bunch of other rules.

some of those, at least, are here:

https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/dependents-education-assistance/

Your father should have a letter saying, to the effect you are eligible for DEA chapter 35.  If in doubt, you can apply, and you should get a letter with your eligibiliity.  

In addition to the "cash per month" of DEA chapter 35, you may well be eligible for other state benefits, or fafsa grants/loans.  

If you dont stay in school they cut off your benefits.  You should stay in, and keep your grades up, and pretty much stay on track persuing a degree.  You cant just take "bowling badmitton and basketball" and expect VA to pay chapter 35 benefits.  You pretty much have to "declare" a degree and make progress toward that degree at an approved college.  

• HadIt.com Elder

By all means stay in school.  My college degree did not really help me in employment, but it did a lot for my self confidence.  I thought if I can get a degree then I can handle the VA.  That was partially true, but I did not know how corrupt the government was at the time.  At least if you pass English you can write a decent letter.