Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Man the cola adjustment for 2023 is great

Rate this question

Mr cue

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If VA raised compensation by 50% that would be about right for our actual cost of living.  If a vet is making $200,000 a year and becomes disabled he gets the same as somebody making minimum wage.

Recently in my email box landed some message with the subject "Veterans Benefits to increase by a whopping 8.7"(paraphrasing). The question is compared to what? At what cost of living? 

The CPI does not measure inflation with any level of accuracy; it is mostly a propaganda tool for the government. The Government (Bureau of Labor and Statistics) changed the approach and methodology on how they measure inflation over time. If we were to use the same approach and methodology that was used back in the early 1980s, the inflation for 2021 would around 16%. Thus, comparing the 2021 CPI with the one from the early 80s is simply not fair: it is like comparing apples to oranges.  Our current inflation rate is most likely the highest in history (or at least since they started measuring the inflation)

For 2022, the inflation rate is expected to be much worse. If you have at been at a grocery store recently you probably know that. Almost everything I buy went up in price for at least 20%. Some items went up in price by a whopping 80%.  

Purchasing power and the standards of living of Veterans has been eroded to an unprecedent level. And, likely, it is only going to get worse in the foreseeable future.  

Edited by tk3000

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 12/20/2022 at 1:29 PM, john999 said:

If VA raised compensation by 50% that would be about right for our actual cost of living.  If a vet is making $200,000 a year and becomes disabled he gets the same as somebody making minimum wage.

Unfortunately true...

• Founder

You will never get a VA or congress type to discuss that the only raises we get are the cost of living. I can't remember a commission on whether veterans are fairly compensated, have any of you?

No, Tbird, I have not heard of any "serious" congress bills which raise Veterans compensation above the Cola rate.  

Most all  politicians SAY they are "Pro Veterans", but how many really fight for Veterans?  They do that because they know there are not only about 30 million Veterans, but also others who are Veteran families, or they are otherwise very Veteran friendly.  

Its pretty much political suicide for any candidate to say, "Aw, I hate Veterans..they are getting paid to much already for nothing, so we need to cut Veterans compensation".  

I have, however, seen the attitude among VA employees that "Vets are getting a handout" they dont deserve, so delay or deny benefits any way you can.  

Of course, this is not all VA employees, but many of them have a bad attitude to the Veterans they are supposed to be serving, not bashing.