Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Military Medical Records from Janesville Wi

Rate this question

IndySam

Question

Hi 

I am still pretty new, bit thanks so much to everyone here and all of the shared knowledge. I am learning a lot a hopefully it makes the claims proces easier.

I have been trying to get my medical records from service since Februray 2023. I guess it takes a while? Has anyone had any luck getting their medical records from #11 on the SF 180 form, Claims Intake Center? I faxed the form again yesterday. That what the chart says I think for me, USMC 2002-2006.

I thought I read the VA RO could see them if I had started a claim, but I'm not sure how to ask for those. 

Thanks!!

Sam

#11 Department of Veterans Affairs ATTN: Release of Information Claims Intake Center P.O. Box 4444 Janesville, WI 53547-4444 Fax Number: 844-531-7818

On 7/13/2023 at 6:30 AM, IndySam said:

Hi 

I am still pretty new, bit thanks so much to everyone here and all of the shared knowledge. I am learning a lot a hopefully it makes the claims proces easier.

I have been trying to get my medical records from service since Februray 2023. I guess it takes a while? Has anyone had any luck getting their medical records from #11 on the SF 180 form, Claims Intake Center? I faxed the form again yesterday. That what the chart says I think for me, USMC 2002-2006.

I thought I read the VA RO could see them if I had started a claim, but I'm not sure how to ask for those. 

Thanks!!

Sam

#11 Department of Veterans Affairs ATTN: Release of Information Claims Intake Center P.O. Box 4444 Janesville, WI 53547-4444 Fax Number: 844-531-7818

I got my records last Friday on a CD in the mail, took less than a month!!! 😄

• Lead Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, IndySam.  That's great!  In the past I have heard it taking a year or more to get records.  It makes sense to send the request to janesville, not the VARO.  

• Lead Moderator

Also, Indy Sam, you can go "talk" to a VSO, but, they probably will not let you access records until you sign POA over to them.  

This said, there are many "levels" in which to utilize a VSO, pick one that works for you among these:

1.  You dont give them a POA, just drop by and ask a question or two, and maybe, you dont even take any of their advice.  

2.  You sign a POA, but completely work your own claim, sending in stuff directly to the VA.  You neither want, nor take the VSO's advice, but just want to view your records (in real time).  Remember, when you get a CD of your records in the mail, its likely obsolete by the time you get the CD/DVD, as more information may have been added, some deleted, too.  You may not be able to prevent the VSO from giving advice, but you dont necessarily have to take any of his advice.  

3.  You sign a POA, work your own claim, but send everything to your VSO to send to VA, and, hopefully he will keep a copy, but it does not hurt for you to have a copy also.  Your VSO "should" be able to see, through VBMS access, if/when your documents were received and filed by VA.   This method could save postage, and, some VSO's may be able to send information to VA electronically.  Of course, you can send info to VA electronically also.  However, the VA managed to lose at least ONE electronic record I sent to VA "even when I had a confirmation number" that they received it.  

The VA has a skill at losing your records which has been finely tuned over decades, so they get VERY good at it.  Losing records at VA happens so frequently, there is a special regulation just to address when this happens:  38CFR 3.156.  

4.  You sign a POA, and have the VSO do everything, trust that he will get everything done, as promised, in short order.  You never doubt any of his/her advice, at least until you have been waiting 10 years for your benefits, when you hire an attorney to fix it.  This is not recommended, but instead keep tabs on VSO, and keep updated.  Then, ask hadit members to give their opinion on documents the VSO filed for you, and, how helpful he has been.  We can guide you.  

5.  You dont sign anything, dont apply, and dont appeal if you have claims in the pipeline.  This is never recommended.  

6.  You sign a POA, then give up on your VSO, and dont bother to follow up and do his/her job on your own, but just quit instead.  Never recommended.  

7.   You sign a POA, and your VSO never returns any calls, to answer any questions of file anything.  So, you assume the worst, and fire him.  Also not recommended.  

Remember, VSO's only return about 50 percent of the calls to Veterans they represent, so dont be disappointed when your call is not returned.   It takes the VSO enormous amounts of time to warm up bar stools at the local VFW, and talk about how ignorant their Veterans are that they represent to each other. 

Once you understand that a) you should "trust but verify" your VSO, and, he probably wont return your calls, you

can still benefit from a VSO, "even when" you know more than he does, which is often the case with me, because he can show you your real time records.   

On 8/7/2023 at 8:00 AM, broncovet said:

Also, Indy Sam, you can go "talk" to a VSO, but, they probably will not let you access records until you sign POA over to them.  

2.  You sign a POA, but completely work your own claim, sending in stuff directly to the VA.  You neither want, nor take the VSO's advice, but just want to view your records (in real time).  Remember, when you get a CD of your records in the mail, its likely obsolete by the time you get the CD/DVD, as more information may have been added, some deleted, too.  You may not be able to prevent the VSO from giving advice, but you dont necessarily have to take any of his advice.   

Once you understand that a) you should "trust but verify" your VSO, and, he probably wont return your calls, you

can still benefit from a VSO, "even when" you know more than he does, which is often the case with me, because he can show you your real time records.   

Hi @broncovet FYI, I went and got a VSO, I m leaning toward option #2 in your recommendations.

I looked around a year ago and got ghosted by one VSO. Then in the spring I tried finding one again and gave up. 

This time I found an American Legion Office downtown, not the ones in the federal building here I had been to before. They were very responsive, understood I will have questions, and that I had already filed claims on my own.  

They said any of the A.L. VSOs in that office could start helping me in a week or so, I signed the forms today. 😀