Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ INITIAL PTSD DSMV

Rate this question

hwill

Question

I put a claim in for Ptsd, Anxiety, and depression after talking with my Va health provider. She said that I should apply after talking with her for a few years about some issues I was having. I was reluctant to for a long time, but I finally decided to apply. I received an appointment for a Telecom DBQ initial Ptsd Dsmv. They said it would be about a 120 minute meeting. I was just wondering if anyone had gone thru this process and what to expect. I had one similar a few years back with a Mental health doctor by Video conference and they stated that I had anxiety disorder and Depression, I can't remember what was said about Ptsd. They just asked a lot of questions about my deployments. Have to go back and check the notes. They wanted me to try the medication. I'm taking Prazosin for nightmares, Lorazapem for anxiety and depression, zolpheim for insomnia. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. and what's the next step after the video conference, will there be any additional meeting.

• Greeter

I don’t know if you completed your exam yet. But good luck. Be honest and accurate to the best of your abilities. It’s ok to be nervous but be honest and don’t over exaggerate. Best of luck and give us a update.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the support and feedback. Just wanted to give you all an update. I finally received my rating back this week. Great news I went from 80% to 100%. I finally decided to submit my claim for PTSD as directed by Va health provider, alone with a few other claims. They were submitted in May; I really wasn't expecting them to come back as soon as they did. I think the main key was that I ensured that I submitted the documents myself and didn't rely on them getting them their self. And called to verify that they were in the system. It cut the time lag down. Once again thanks to all and keep moving and don't give in.......

• Founder

va-claim-granted-hard-won-battle-2.png

@hwill Thank you for sharing your victory with us. I am glad for any help we could provide. Be sure to check out your state benefits including property tax exemptions or rental credits. Enjoy Your Life.

Congratulations on the win!  Be sure to get your other "100 percent benefits", some of which you may not be aware of.  

A few examples are:

....State benefits, such as zero or reduced property taxes, free hunting license, or free camping/fishing license.  (It depends on your state).   Go to your state Veterans website.  

...Other Federal benefits such as DEA chapter 35 (assuming you are P and T) which is great for your dependents.  Your kids can get something like around $1400 per month to go to college.  Your spouse can/should get Champva, which is the best health insurance money cant buy.  You can get extra points when applying for government jobs.  

I got all my co pays and deductible returned to me from the VA when I got my 100 percent, a check of something like $1400.  

There are many, many, many more benefits for 100 percent p and t Vets, 

I don't know if they still are, but they used to be required to read your complete file prior to the exam, and failure to do so could be cause for a remand later.  Problem with the remand is it just delays the favorable award.  They generally try to blame everything on you, prior to your military service.  Parents abused you, etc., etc..  Bear in mind that they want to continue to be utilized by the VA, so often lean towards the VA's side.  jmo