Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cataract Surgery at the VA.

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I just finished cataract Surgery at my VA, and had my first "next day" followup today.  

My vision was very poor.   They did the left eye, and the Right eye will be in a couple weeks, if everything continues well. 

Frankly I had no idea that cataract surgery would correct my vision, and they actually implanted a lens in my eye, which corrects my vision without glasses.  

The surgeon explained that the lens "with Astigmitism correction" costs more, but VA pays for that.  

It may be too early to tell, but my vision in one eye is much much better.  They took out the left lens of my glasses, because my vision is corrected with the implanted cataract lens.  

So, far, I would highly recommend cataract surgury for those who need it.  If you are over 65, and your vision is cloudy, and you have difficulty driving at night due to glare, you may consider asking about it.    I have worn glasses since I was about 10 years old, and, if the right eye goes as well as the left, I will no loinger need glasses except for reading.  

Some years ago, my brother called and told me he was getting Cadillac surgery.  I corrected him, "CATaract surgery".  He said, "No, I had to sell my Cadillac to pay the doctor, and I saw him driving it about a month later".  

I also got a "free" makevoer for my wife.  Her face is more beautiful, she is more vibrant, colors are better, and she no longer looks "fuzzy".   The trouble is all the other women I look at look better now too, with my surgery.   My grass is even greener, so he must have also included lawn service along with my eye surgery also.  Heck, even I look better, too!  

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations on your new view on life.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had cataract surgery a few years ago and I was amazed at the fact they implanted a lens in my eyes that was corrective.  I had very bad eye sight and could not even see the big E on the eye chart.   My eyes were getting worse and worse.   Now I don't even use glasses except for reading.  The VA here in Tampa said my eyes were not bad enough so I did it through Medicare and my private insurance.  I did not pay a dime.  Maybe I should have pursued SC as my cataracts may have been related to my DMII.  I asked VA eye doctors and my private doctor about this but they said no connection.  Maybe they were just blowing me off?  Private docs just want the money and VA did not want to help at all.

John, Im sure you know how reluctant VA docs are at handing out nexus letters.  However, "if there is money on the table" (that is, you think there is a good chance you may get additional SMC OR benefits for your family), then an IMO/IME may work.  It does not sound like a stretch that DMII causes cataracts, it sounds like you have a doc who is loyal to the VA, instead.  Its funny how doctors are influenced by people who sign their checks.  

Fortunately, private docs also tend to be loyal to people who sign their checks.  So, if you are the one writing a check, they owe loyalty to YOU instead of the VA.  This is why so many Vets need an IMO/IME to succeed in their claim. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Even if I got SC'ed for cataracts it would not affect my compensation.  The surgery was successful for cataracts, but I am keeping an eye on other DMII related eye problems.  I get an exam once a year.  I do have a small problem with a scar on my eye.  I don't know who it happened but it does not affect my vision yet.  DMII has a host of secondary conditions.  I got SC'ed for neuropathy which put me over the 100% mark and that was related to DMII.