Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I qualify for SMC? Is it automatic?

Rate this question

LKF050813

Question

Hi all,

I was originally awarded 80% rating upon medical retirement. Recently filed for an increase and just received the notification letter. I’m at 100% for mental health, and then I have combined ratings for other things that total another 90%. Do I qualify for SMC-S? If so, do I have to file for it or is it added automatically because of my rating?

On 6/14/2024 at 3:46 PM, pacmanx1 said:

Here is the thing, if the VA recently granted you an increase in your rating, you need to wait to see what actually changed. It makes absolutely no sense in you filing any claim and or appeal until you get your notification letter. It is very possible that the VA included SMC-S in your newly decided award and your new notification letter will explain that. Keep an eye out for any direct deposit retro payment. But for now, the only thing you can do is sit back and wait for your decision letter. You can ask your VSO to send you a copy of your decision if it is ready or you can call the 1 (800) 827-1000 number to see if they can email you a copy if it is completed and ready but that is just about it. CH 35 DEA Education benefits come with P & T and not being rated 100% so, if your records show you are getting CH 35 DEA that means the VA has awarded you P & T.

SEE VA FORM 21-8760 for ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR P & T.

VBA-21-8760-ARE.pdf (va.gov)

Thank you for this explanation. I did get the retro payment and was awarded 100% plus the SMC-S. I received the payment on June 12th and can see the 100% plus SMC through my Va.gov login, but I still haven’t received the Decision Letter. I’m going to call them and see where the hold up is.

Congrats on your win.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Founder

Great news, Congrats.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Congratulations!  

If you have an ebenefits/va.gov "premium" account, you can probably find the decision letter online and print it for your records.  The premium account generally means you have been in person verified.  I have one and went to the VAMC librarian who looked at my ID, looked at me, and sent me a verification code.  IDK how they do it after covid 19, because Veterans reported that changed.  

Its important to read the award letter to decide if you want to appeal or not.  Yes, you can appeal an award, for example, if the effective date is wrong.