VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Important Topics - Please Review This Thread.

• HadIt.com Elder

"does this affect me"

Quite probably. Assuming that they were still using the older fire fighting facilities that were in use during the Vietnam war days.

Of major concern was the fuel used to feed the fires that the fire fighting school used for training. In the Vietnam days

Asbestos was a component of fire fighting suits and gloves, and adds another level of concern.

A possible problem exists with VA claims, since Dioxin is involved, but is a part of "Agent Orange", not A.O. of itself. The Dioxin contamination is believed to have resulted from the use of fuel (Various waste oils) that contained Dioxin. The oils produced heavy particle abundant smoke that was used in the simulated ship steel structure. I recall a metal grate (Catwalk?)in the structure that supposedly simulated part of a ship's engine compartment. A smokey fire was typically located below the grate, and the training fire fighting team "fought" the fire from the grate. In some cases, masks and breathers were used, in others a wet cloth or shirt was the only protection.

I was in the Navy from 89-95. I went to the basic and advanced shipboard firefighting schools in 89. does this affect me or is it for earlier service?

Brother had several Schools at TI in the 60s -1964 on then ended up on USS Buchanann .DIED in the 80s ---FATTY TUMORS- back was covered , ended up Hodgkins- We got him SC after he died was called --BLUE WATER DISEASE by the VA_so his wife and kids got there benifits.Electronics Tech and schooling 6 years service.

STEVE & PAT

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the same grates and training that they used when I went thru.

"does this affect me"

Quite probably. Assuming that they were still using the older fire fighting facilities that were in use during the Vietnam war days.

Of major concern was the fuel used to feed the fires that the fire fighting school used for training. In the Vietnam days

Asbestos was a component of fire fighting suits and gloves, and adds another level of concern.

A possible problem exists with VA claims, since Dioxin is involved, but is a part of "Agent Orange", not A.O. of itself. The Dioxin contamination is believed to have resulted from the use of fuel (Various waste oils) that contained Dioxin. The oils produced heavy particle abundant smoke that was used in the simulated ship steel structure. I recall a metal grate (Catwalk?)in the structure that supposedly simulated part of a ship's engine compartment. A smokey fire was typically located below the grate, and the training fire fighting team "fought" the fire from the grate. In some cases, masks and breathers were used, in others a wet cloth or shirt was the only protection.

I was at TI in 1972 awaiting discharge. The barrack I was assigned to were old WW2. An inside converted basketball floor and showers. Now I have a question, would this not be further evidence of Chemical exposure to further substantiate a claim for A.O. both on land and offshore waters? I have a non-Hodgkins Lymph node. It never caused me pain, it's just a mass on the right side of my neck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Possibly asbestos exposure due to the amount of the stuff in the old buildings. I'd think that you would need to somehow document that you were in areas at TI that were contaminated, perhaps as part of a work party or some other events.

I was at TI in 1972 awaiting discharge. The barrack I was assigned to were old WW2. An inside converted basketball floor and showers. Now I have a question, would this not be further evidence of Chemical exposure to further substantiate a claim for A.O. both on land and offshore waters? I have a non-Hodgkins Lymph node. It never caused me pain, it's just a mass on the right side of my neck.