VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here; A Question Regarding Private Health Insurance

Rate this question

buzzard

Question

A little about me: I am a veteran of the Army (1968-1974), having served two tours in Vietnam as a Crew Chief/Door Gunner. I live in Ohio.

I had some mental issues when I returned, and continue to do so. I have hearing problems and tinnitus (driving me crazy; it is just getting worse with time): as well as a few other problems. I've been inpatient/outpatient at VA in the past.

I work part-time for now, though it is a real challenge. I applied for VA health care just this past Thursday and have my first appointment in less than two weeks, and then I guess they will set up an appointment for me to go to Chillicothe for the Agent Orange physical/registry (I was in many areas in VN where it was used). I sent for all my military records via eVetRecords last week, but I don't anticipate receiving them as fast I got the VA heathcare approved.

My question: I have private health insurance (Anthem) and I plan on dropping it, as I can no longer afford it; the premiums, co-pays and deductibles are killing me! I don't know if I should drop it before my first appointment....am I even allowed to drop the private health insurance at any time?

Thanks Brothers!

Dave

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can drop the private insurance anytime. The VA will charge you a co-pay unless you prove to them you are poor enough to not be able to pay. I would wait until I got treatment at the VA to see if you are going to like it. You should try and get service connected for any problem you think is related to your Vietnam service. Did you ever ask to be service connected for any of your psychiatric problems or tinnitus? If you can only work part time you probably should be looking at some way to get unemployability benefits from the VA and to get SSD. You are taking the first steps on a long journey.

• HadIt.com Elder

A little about me: I am a veteran of the Army (1968-1974), having served two tours in Vietnam as a Crew Chief/Door Gunner. I live in Ohio.

I had some mental issues when I returned, and continue to do so. I have hearing problems and tinnitus (driving me crazy; it is just getting worse with time): as well as a few other problems. I've been inpatient/outpatient at VA in the past.

I work part-time for now, though it is a real challenge. I applied for VA health care just this past Thursday and have my first appointment in less than two weeks, and then I guess they will set up an appointment for me to go to Chillicothe for the Agent Orange physical/registry (I was in many areas in VN where it was used). I sent for all my military records via eVetRecords last week, but I don't anticipate receiving them as fast I got the VA heathcare approved.

My question: I have private health insurance (Anthem) and I plan on dropping it, as I can no longer afford it; the premiums, co-pays and deductibles are killing me! I don't know if I should drop it before my first appointment....am I even allowed to drop the private health insurance at any time?

Thanks Brothers!

Dave

Well, if you have been "inpatient/outpatient at VA in the past" then it does not surprise me that you got your "VA healthcare approved" quickly...........seeing as how you were, obviously, already approved (or you wouldn't have gotten inpatient or outpatient treatment "at VA in the past".

As far as dropping your private healthcare insurance...........I'd wait just a little while, if you can. If not, go with the VA healthcare and dicker with them about your co-pays when necessary (if you are financially cramped to the point of not being able to pay for your private insurance, then you would have a good argument vis a vis you not being able to afford your VA co-pays, I would think). If you have been treated by the VA for your psych problems, then you should have a goodly amount of VA treatment and progress notes concerning your problems, and you should have already filed a claim for them, but, as you haven't, NOW is the time, making sure and including your VA healthcare prior documentation (you can get it from the medical records/release of information counter at your treating VA medical facility).

Thank you Larry & John,

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't file a claim in the past because I thought all would be well, and it was for a while; that was over ten years ago.....but life is becoming a mental struggle for me...not good......

I plan on filing a claim for the hearing loss, tinnitus, and if they deem I have PTSD, or something else mental, then I'll file a claim for that, too.

I called the last clinic (mental outpaitent) I had been to, and they told me my health records were in the archives....so I sent for them via eVetRecs, as well as any and all other medical records and any and all military records. So should I still sign the releases at the VA cllinic? Do you know how soon that takes to get the records (I assume they fax them back to the clinic)?

I'm assuming my "physical" at the VA Clinic will be a thorough one? I plan to tell them every problem I've had. Will a psych evaluate me at that time? Will I get a hearing test (my ENT doctor told me there was nothing that can be done for the tinnitus, and it was his opinion I have hearing loss, AND I KNOW THAT I DO, and he said to get my hearing checked at the VA Clinic..I've also had chronic sinus problems for decades, along with several surgeries to remove polyps...headaches everyday and more....)? I suppose they will make my appointment for the AO testing/registery while I am there (I will need to go to the Chillicothe, OH clinic for that one)...

Thanks again. I really appreciate it and need all the help I can get!

• HadIt.com Elder

When you get assigned to a Team you will have a PCP. This is when you should tell them about your PTSD. Tell them every single complaint you have but especially the things you believe are service connected. You should get a referral to see a psychiatrist. You need to go at this thing step by step and think long term. Long term you want to get as much compensation as you can get. This requires care when dealing with the VA. I would stay in touch with Hadit and check with others about exams and your discussions with psychiatrists. You can also use Vet Centers. You should make a decision about filing for PTSD on what you think and not on what the VA tells you. If you have symptoms of PTSD then file a claim. Don't let someone tell you that you don't have it if you believe you do have it. Are you aware of the symptoms of PTSD? Why don't you google it.

• Founder

I have a suggestion or two. One is I would call the VA 1-800-827-1000 and tell them you wan to file an informal claim, claim the hearing loss and whatever you might else have that is connected to your service. This will start your effective date from that day, thus if you prevail you will be paid retro to that date. Two, it sounds like your mental health issues are really becoming unmanageable for you, I recommend that you immediately call your local veterans center and see if you can see a psychologist there, being a combat veteran you qualify to be seen. The Veterans Center's aren't located in the VA hospitals, the staff is usually great and really cares. If you are having problems holding it together now, you need to get some professional help as you take on the VA, because that will add to your stress. Take care.

I have a suggestion or two. One is I would call the VA 1-800-827-1000 and tell them you wan to file an informal claim, claim the hearing loss and whatever you might else have that is connected to your service. This will start your effective date from that day, thus if you prevail you will be paid retro to that date. Two, it sounds like your mental health issues are really becoming unmanageable for you, I recommend that you immediately call your local veterans center and see if you can see a psychologist there, being a combat veteran you qualify to be seen. The Veterans Center's aren't located in the VA hospitals, the staff is usually great and really cares. If you are having problems holding it together now, you need to get some professional help as you take on the VA, because that will add to your stress. Take care.

Good Morning Sir,

And thank you again for your help, and Thank YOU for serving my country!

I am planning to call the VA today at the number in your post and will tell them I want to file an informal claim, and let them know for what ailments; will they then log this call and send me the proper claim form (I have already saved the 12 page claim form in my favorites)? Will he/she want specific medical information, such as dates of treatments and where?

Yes, you are correct about the mental health issues...like stated earlier, I was inpatient/outpatient years back, medicated, counseled...blah, blah, blah...although I don't have specific dates and thus and waiting on my medical records (I plan also on requested at my local VA clinic for them to send for the records); I have stuffed and tried to compartmentalize for years now...but am coming apart...don't like to talk about it, but need to....I am trying to wait till next Tuesday to seek help (the day of my schedule VA physical)...although maybe I should do it now....it is hard to open up to somebody/anybody about it.

The staff does seem caring and wonderful at the local VA clinic, from what I gathered last week when I filled out and turned in the application....

I await your reply re: calling the VA today...

Thanks again.