Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success Is Out There If You Keep At It!

Rate this topic

Djdan48

I first enrolled on the Agent Orange Registry in about 2008. No real reason then, except others said it was a good idea to get on the list. I was in-country in Vietnam from 1968-69.

In 2012, I saw that Ischemic Heart Disease was added as a covered Agent Orange disease as of September, 2010. I had a heart attack in 2006. So, I applied and got a 60% rating and was paid retro to September 2010. That 2-year lump sum deposit was sweet!

In 2013, I applied for PTSD and was denied because of a doctor filling out his report wrong. I appealed and was granted 50% only 6 weeks later! Now, my rating increased to 80%.

In December, 2014 I applied for a rating because the VA said I was a diabetic and put me on an RX. They rated me 20% for that, but not enough to change the 80% rating I already had.

In February 2015, I asked to have the PTSD rating increased and that I had left my job 2 months earlier because of the PTSD. In April 2015, they increased my PTSD to 70%, for a new rating of 90% overall.

However, they also put the added benefit of Unemployability on the claim, which boosted the claim way up there. With a spouse, I went from getting $1688 to $3415 per month! They now put me at 100% Total and Permanent disability!

When that rating came in, I immediately went to my Motor Vehicle Dept and got a Disabled Veteran plate for my car. Cost: only $4.50/yr! Then to the county appraiser's office here in florida to file for my exemption. At 100% total and permanent, they waive 100% of your property taxes on your home! ($3600/yr savings!) If you are under 65, which I wasn't, you can also apply for a waiver of your monthly premium for some types of Servicemen's Group Life you may have.

Also, but not the least, I went to a somewhat (75 mi. away) local Naval base and applied for a ID card that gives me 100% privileges at any commissary or exchange anywhere in the world, at any military base. I went to an Air Force one yesterday! I can even book a campsite or room at any base that offers it. Disney, Universal, etc are on the discount list too!

The gist of all this, it's that you can do it yourself! Everything you need is available online .Sign up for Ebenefits online today! If you feel you need assistance, see your local VFW, American Legion, of VA Officer. Most states also have service officers that are paid by the state itself. They are usually disabled vets themselves and are there to be on your side. Stay away from the attorneys! They are in it for the money only!

Djdan48

Yeah...great for you and you prove that as long as you keep the faith and work hard that success can come out of this very tough and challenging disability process...good luck and godspeed....rootbeer22

Great post!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use