VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MF6

Question

I separated from active duty service in the Air Force with in 2010 and had undiagnosed non-combat military connected PTSD with alcohol use in remission (According to my VA disability paperwork which puts me at 50% for ptsd.) This was granted the beginning of last year. I recently put in to have my discharge upgraded to honorable from general and have yet to hear back from them. (E-benefits say maybe I'll hear about it early February 2018.)

There were a few selfmedicated incidents with alcohol that happened while I was active duty that resulted in going into a civilian rehabilitation facility, a perscription to an antidepressant, and a lot of suicidal ideation I recently admitted in my paperwork to the review board that I was afraid to admit to my command because they would do things like write someone up for a sunburn (destruction of government property), or purposefully keep spouses apart by writing one up for something they didn't do and keep them from going during their significant others' PCS (because someone else did it to them for five years and "they turned out fine"(There was no way to prove otherwise.)).

I was recently reading about medical retirement from the military. It's a little confusing. I was wondering if there was a way to submit for reconsideration and medically retire from the military after separation?

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a way to appeal your discharge character but you must go before the BCMR.   They are not appellant friendly.  You probably need a lawyer.  I tried it within one year after discharge and went to Discharge Review Board and got my general changed to Honorable.  When you deal with BCMR it is a different world.  The assumption is you got exactly what you deserved.  No benefit of doubt or duty to assist that I know of in those cases.  They were arrogant, high handed ands nasty to me.  My service connection was effective one day after discharge, but I lost at BCMR.     What would honorable get you besides General Under Honorable?  You will need to prove a mistake was made when you got discharged.  Did you get general under honorable conditions.?  There was a vet here who got their honorable changed to medical with pension.  He is the only one I know that ever did it.

John

They gave me General Under Honorable Conditions when I was discharged. (Two months before I was supposed to non-voluntarily separate early as Honorable (Due to troop cutbacks. I submitted a copy of the preseparation paperwork saying Honorable to them as well)) I heard or read somewhere a while ago about getting education benefits back if the discharge is upgraded to Honorable, but the person upgraded still has to apply with the VA to verify eligibility. I was hoping for that or maybe medical. The internet doesn't say a lot about medical discharges other than the process to get one as an active duty member.

• HadIt.com Elder

Like I say you will probably need a lawyer if you have to deal with Board of Corrections of Military Records.  They are mean and nasty and don't give a rat's ass about you, MF6.  I experienced it with them.  They lied and screwed me over in every way possible.  If you had appealed your discharge within I think it is three years it would have probably been easier.  You must prove your discharge was in error.   You probably signed something saying you agreed to take the General under Honorable and they will use that like a confession to a murder.   I am sure you were F'ed over but you must prove it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I Agree with john999

I have been dealing with those yahooos for over 4 years to get my DD-214   I sent in a request for correction to Straighten it out and corrected.

before my Vietnam service, I was in Germany before sent to Vietnam and my Germany service is not on my DD-214 and I even submitted records from my old unit I was in and anything to prove where I was and who I served with the locations close approx dates ect,,ect,, I even  copied some older hand written D'r s notes with dates and my unit FROM Germany my name on it what I was being treated for ect,,ect,,, out of my C-File  and submitted  it  which I was certain that was all they needed.....nope came back denied lack of evidence,  I ask them what more prof you need? they need letter head documentation in bold print and all the information from that...these guys are not like submitting documentation for a Claim.

I finally said just forget it  this is all BS.

They sent me a letter saying my request has been denied , if you can provide any evidence to substantiate your request please submit  other wise your request for correction of your DD214 Will be closed.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck

The BCMR slammed my request to have my discharge changed to a medical (I was in hospital for 2 months)  and showed utmost disrespect to me.   I called a lawyer and he said only about 3% actually get significant upgrades that would cost the military a dime.   Back in the day it was not so hard to get a General upgraded to Honorable right after Vietnam.   I had a Hearing and my counselor had them crying and wiping their eyes, except for the military guy in the room who was looking daggers at me.  I got the upgrade, but years later I tried with BCMR and they laughed at me.  I had 11B MOS in Vietnam and they said my records showed I only worked that MOS for five months and the rest as a clerk, so I was trying to get something I was not entitled to get.