VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Need Some Help

Rate this question

kryptos

Question

Hello all I am service connected 70% 40% for broken back 30% for neuropathy of the legs and left arm. I go to the Va hospital in New jersey it is the Lyons facillity. I have been seeing a va doctor there for 6 months now. to make a long story short me and the dr butt heads alot i have seen him bout 10 times and he has not done or tried to do anything to help me. He just tells me im 30 pounds over weight and that is why my back still hurts not the fact that in 1999 i broke my back in 3 spots. He will not order any MRI's or other tests. I have tried to change primary doctors but no one at the va hospital will lead me in the write direcion they tell me he is my primary and that is it.

every time i see him alls he does is complain bout how he never gets a lunch break or a coffee break and disablled vets are waisting his time. I thought bout bringing a voice recorder next time i see him. Has anyone else had problems like this and what should i do. I am very confused.

Thank you in advance

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

We have heard all this talk about how the VA is going to treat every vet with utmost respect blah, blah, blah. The way it works is that at a VAMC the administrators are on top of the pile; the doctors come next; the VA workers are third and the vets come last.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello Kryptos,

what your experiencing "is" DVA health care.

Going through the Patient Advocate first is the chain of command.

You will receive the proper forms from the advocate to change PCP's.

Once you file the complaint, it is likely that you will be labeled a trouble maker and the high quality care you've been receiving, will start to deteriorate at that facility. Oh yes. It can get worse.

Your meds may be constantly late or they may withhold your pain medications all together, forcing you to go through constant withdrawal symptoms, and you can forget about any referrals for needed specialty consults or diagnostic MRI's. Dead Vets don't complain as much as the live ones.

It's all about the illusion of health care.

If you file the complaint, the VAMC will provide you with someone, but it may be two years before you see another MD.

You will get much better care through the PA’s and nurses, but your consult requests will get denied when they submit them to the VAMC’s Dr’s to sign off on.

It wouldn’t surprise me to hear the Dr your complaining about, is the one that signs off on the consults, until you’re authorized to change. If that is the case, you’re screwed for care for the next year or two.

If you stay with the currant VAMC care provider, it seems like you’re going to be screwed as far as receiving care, while you’re under their care.

Choose wisely!

Allan

Kryptos, I too feel your pain and I agree. I also broke my back in 1990 2 disc and was released from service in NOV94 pain now radiates into both legs. I went to VA Hospital for 6 years till I couldn't take it anymore, hour and half drive for not even sub-standard care. I decided I had enough and was able to obtain a job that provided me full med benefits for my hire. BIG difference between care you pay for and the free care you receive at the VA. now that I am unemployable (almost 2 y now) trying to get care from the VA is like I'm being punished for not going to the VA the whole time. I think the truth is they see so many people you're a number not a name, no relationship no problems. I had them all-some care, most don't.

Greetings,

Go directly to the patients advocate office and file your request for a new treating physician. I can tell you from expirence that when I ran into some of the same issues you ran into I demanded a meeting with the Chief of Staff and I got one. It was at that meeting where I laid all my concerns on the table and demanded a new treating doctor, and I got one.

I have had several issues with my VAMC and each time I filed complaints with the patients sdvocates and they have always responded and delt with the problems. I have never ran into any problems with after effects with poor treatement or slow meds getting to me. The issue here is you! you must be an advocate for your health care. We all know that in the paper maze at all VAROs, and VAMCs we can get lost quickly, so we must be our best advocate. Take someone in with you next time, audio tape it as I have done in the past. Rememebr this is about you and you getting the proper treatement you deserve, not 2nd rate care by attendings who could care less about veterans who may be there to get their student loans repayed.

God bless you,

Bound4Heaven

• HadIt.com Elder

One big problem I had with primary care doctors at my local VAMC is the turnover. I get a new doctor every year and then I have to educate them all over again about my problems. The only reason I go is to get meds. I can't believe that you can't get an MRI for a broken back. This would be the first or second thing a normal doctor would order up for someone with back pain. Do you have any other insurance like medicare. I would not fool around with these VA clowns if I had any other way to get treatment or care.

Yeah it seemed I had a new doctor every other time I went too. Asking the same questions, and I'd have to tell the whole history again. The clinic doesnt seem that way though, my doc there has been on staff for 7 years.

Same with the psych care but maybe worse because they seem to hire people from India who I couldn't understand... but again the guy at the clinic is fine..