Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sc For Cancer. Presumtive?

Rate this question

Doc John

Question

I was told by my VSO that some cancers are "presumptive" for service connection.

I had cancer surgery in 2000 for adenoid cystic carcinoma (a.k.a. cylindroma) , along with chemotherapy and radiation. My face is disfigured and I need physical therapy on my jaw 20-30 times a year so that I can open my mouth and chew solid food.

I am in remission but have been assured by my oncologist that metastases will occur eventually in my lungs, and it will kill me if I don't die waiting for it.

I searched hadit.com and found this decision from the VA::: http://www.va.gov/vetapp93/files2/9315426.txt

If I could get it, I would appreciate some expert VA advice from the Elders, VA employees or Berta, who helped this widow originally.

Thanks,

Doc John

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I had the AO exam and the VA discovered two AO conditions I did not even know were presumptive. It is a pretty good exam and about the best the VA has to offer.

An Okinawa vet succeeded at the BVA with his AO claim. I posted the decision here some time ago.

He proved direct exposure- also for many years Congressman Lane Evans tried to get DOD to admit AO was used on Okinawa and I think he burned himself out on that- he is very ill himself now- hope it isnt a AO disability.

By the little atoll did you mean Johnson Atoll in the pacific?

Edited by Berta

An Okinawa vet succeeded at the BVA with his AO claim. I posted the decision here some time ago.

He proved direct exposure- also for many years Congressman Lane Evans tried to get DOD to admit AO was used on Okinawa and I think he burned himself out on that- he is very ill himself now- hope it isnt a AO disability.

By the little atoll did you mean Johnson Atoll in the pacific?

Hi Berta,

Johnson Atoll is the one I am thinking of and I think the agent orange was dumped in '71 or '72. I was on Okinawa in '73, but I understand that the stuff stays in the soil and can harm living creatures for many years.

It was loaded on ships at the same piers where we loaded our amphibious assault ships with Marines and equipment.

Too bad about Evans, maybe someone else will pick up the line.

Thanks,

Doc

There is only one Johnson Atoll AO claim at the BVA and it was denied:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0629685.txt

This claim was presented incorrectly-he failed to state what disability he attributed to AO exposure-

I bet many vets who served on Johnson were exposed to AO and might have disabilities that are presumptive.

• HadIt.com Elder