Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Time Frame

Rate this question

labonte1000

Question

Hi, I'm just wondering how long will it take to get SSDI, once I get a lawyer. Do I have to get my doctor to say that i'm disabled. I have 10% disability due to generalized anxiety disorder. But since then it has gotten worse. I haven't worked since july of 2006. I haven't been to mental health yet, But i made a appointment for December 11th. What do I need from the doctor? Please give me time frame, once applied for, roughly?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It may be difficult to get ssdi based on a 10% anxiety rating. Yes, you will need to see a doctor qualified to render an opinion. At this point, the VA has made a decision (typical) that you are only 10% disabled. Another option would be to enter some sort of training program, and have the program state that you were unemployable. (Actually, you would be best served by obtaining medical opinions from more than one qualified doctor.)

If you intend to hire a lawyer specializing in disability, the lawyer should help you to obtain the necessary data, opinions, etc. to substantuate your claim.

Award time frame--variable-- several months to years. My original disability claim was somewhat fast tracked, since I had applied for early (62) retirement at the same time. (early 2006) An award was made, and I appealed the starting date. The appeal was successful, and a check for retro pay was received in September. The letter explaining the award amount was finally received today! The difference between the early retirement monthly amount and the disability amount is about $300 a month more for the disability amount.

Hi, I'm just wondering how long will it take to get SSDI, once I get a lawyer. Do I have to get my doctor to say that i'm disabled. I have 10% disability due to generalized anxiety disorder. But since then it has gotten worse. I haven't worked since july of 2006. I haven't been to mental health yet, But i made a appointment for December 11th. What do I need from the doctor? Please give me time frame, once applied for, roughly?

well if you looking for the truth here goes... in my case i applied for SSD after i was 70% and IU and it still took 2 1/2 years to get approved ... its really sad a country that can spend a cool trillion dollars on iraq and have army bases in Korea Japan etc etc etc.. will claim they have no money for the men and women who make their freedom possible.. I think to make our military strong they should draft all the highley educated son's and daughters of these leaders who send us in harms way .. Then they can grasp the true meaning of loss

well if you looking for the truth here goes... in my case i applied for SSD after i was 70% and IU and it still took 2 1/2 years to get approved ... its really sad a country that can spend a cool trillion dollars on iraq and have army bases in Korea Japan etc etc etc.. will claim they have no money for the men and women who make their freedom possible.. I think to make our military strong they should draft all the highley educated son's and daughters of these leaders who send us in harms way .. Then they can grasp the true meaning of loss

I'm sorry but your the first person that I've ever heard that took 2 1/2 years on an initial decision. An initial decision usually takes between 3-6 months and then if your disapproved and ask for reconsideration this is where the long wait usually happens.

ok so i really don't understand. right now i'm not working, and right now i really can't work, due to symptoms. What should i do to get SSDI. in steps.

No offence dude, you will need at least 50% with PTSD just to even attempt it and if your working you can really for get it. That shows the SSA that you are able to work. I have 40% for back and legs have not worked in over 2 years. Got cut loose from comp because injury was service connected that was 2 years ago. 1st Denial I was told I was able to communicate and I could be a doll stuffer of a raffle ticket dude. with a letter from there own Dr stated I was unable to hold any gainful employment. 2nd Denial was told I had to much education 16Y + which 4y+ was collage. I dropped out of school to enlist at 17 I never seen the inside of a collage. You have to be dead, dieing or going to kill to get approved. not to scare you off make sure you are ready for the long haul, I mean years and sometimes years and years and years. RC

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

• HadIt.com Elder

First you have to apply for Social Security. You can go online

http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/adult.htm

Or you can call 1-800-772-1213

Get started as soon as you can.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.