Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Input.....

Rate this question

robert51

Question

Any input on is it possible to go for 100% PTSD ... i heard if your 70 %IU PT for PTSD you are almost thought of as 100% .. really because there is only 70 or 100 seems like a bad deal ... i have two different reasons.. First i am thinking of moving to a state that gives benefits for 100% ....... and second if there is anything i think in the furture that can give me heartace its the IU i just dont trust the government and think its possible some day they will try to take IU after you reach 65 especially if your getting SS and VA ... anyone every went for 100% PTSD i still see a doctor every 2 weeks and have for years and my meds have climbed to 650 a day Serquol and 150 Zoloft.. Anyone know of a down side?? I dont think with my doctors reports they will try to lower my rating .. i have been 70% for 6 years now.. input anyone...

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Apply for housebound status. If the VA grants HB they would have to bump you up to 100%. Actually, you are probably safer with TDIU than any other rating. Most states ask that you be totally and permanently disabled for benefits like total tax exemption. If you were to be granted 100% as a increase then I don't know if your current P&T status would go with it. What I think the VA may do is make all those who are IU now 100% schedular in the future and get rid of the IU rating. With IU the VA is saying explicitly that you cannot work due to your disability. I would not fight battles that have not arrived yet because no one really knows what the VA will do ten years from now.

I do know a guy who went from 70% IU to 100% Schedular by asking for Housebound. To get HB you have to be 100% so they bumped him up to 100% when they granted HB. Since you are IU I don't think you have much to lose by asking for the 100%. As long as you are not working they can't take away the IU, but it means another C&P exa

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that John is on the money. If you have 100% TDIU you are better protected than 100% P&T.

• HadIt.com Elder

Robert51, I'm not sure. I recall seeing, a few yrs back, a ruling (I believe CAVC) that denied an appeal on a rating that requested an increase from 70% TDIU to 100% schedular. Their logic was that the benefits were the same and therefore they denied the claim. Moving your c-file to another state opens the door to complete case reviews and possible reductions. jmo

pr

I would say leave it were it is. Most states give you the 100% benifits for i.u.. In california its the same I got the property taxes and license plates. I would call the states dept of veterans affiars office and ask if i.u. is the same as being 100%. I just dont want you to deal with the va if they want to reopen your claim and have to deal with that bullshit. Like others have said I believe iu is more protected than 100%. The va must prove you can work with iu. And once you have iu that is almost impossible.

I have to agree that there is always a chance of losing IU when you open the door for a reevaluation. You are now IU P&T which gives the same pay/benefits as 100% schedular P&T (except if your military retired and even this is being worked on).

Steve