VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It Is Good To Keep Your Mind Off Of Your Claim While It Is Pending..

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

We all know that dealing witht he VA is a mind boggling scenario that can last for years. ( It seems like forever).

I have talked with several folks whose claims are close to being decided.

From my own personal experience, ( I just about went off the deep end) I drove my wife nuts because I was crossing every T and dotting every I and double checking all of the information I had submitted. After I found the VA Errors in my claims I turned into a raging pit bull and hounded the DRO into submission.

I needed a break and I could not afford to take one because there was so much at stake. I finally made a list of things to do to take my mind off the process and it worked. I kept giving myself things to look forward to like certain fishing trips or a vacation. Believe it or not, This activity actually helped me. I stepped back from the scene for a few days. When you return to the process, you feel refreshed and your mind actually works better. I discovered things I had completely missed.

So folks, Take breaks often. Dont let this stuff run your life.

JBasser

Edited by jbasser

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I learned that for me the best was to limit my Claim time to 1 hour a day and take the weekends off.

Good Post

Good post, yes it can take over your life if you are not careful... Just had my claim come back, the one where we talked about getting my DM II service connected as a secondary.. it was a no go. Did not have a nexus, but they did direct sc my lumbar spine at 20% after 10 years. Just have to get another 30% to make it to 100% scheduler. Think I may be able to do it on the NOD. That last 10% is a bear.

Boats

These are great posts- good for newbies to read.

Jbasser is so right-

I have actually had 2 vets here get angry with me for recommending Dr. Bash because they read their IMOs from Dr. Bash and thought the opinions were against their claims! Both IMos were favorable.

I guess after years of dealing with the negativity of the VA they couldn't believe something would go well for them-

a few times I have seen good advise completely here ignored because I think we can get tunnel vision too

all these things can happen when we put too much time into our claims often in anger and that is when we can miss alot-

I was not a claimant again for 6 years and when I read over what I had already read countless times in the late 1990s- the c file, the med recs etc- and the past VA decisions-

everything looked a lot different to me and so I filed more claims.

We cannot allow the VA to control our every waking minute.

We all know that dealing witht he VA is a mind boggling scenario that can last for years. ( It seems like forever).

I have talked with several folks whose claims are close to being decided.

From my own personal experience, ( I just about went off the deep end) I drove my wife nuts because I was crossing every T and dotting every I and double checking all of the information I had submitted. After I found the VA Errors in my claims I turned into a raging pit bull and hounded the DRO into submission.

I needed a break and I could not afford to take one because there was so much at stake. I finally made a list of things to do to take my mind off the process and it worked. I kept giving myself things to look forward to like certain fishing trips or a vacation. Believe it or not, This activity actually helped me. I stepped back from the scene for a few days. When you return to the process, you feel refreshed and your mind actually works better. I discovered things I had completely missed.

So folks, Take breaks often. Dont let this stuff run your life.

JBasser

JBasser

I am glad I read this post. I was recently denied on all 3 of my claims and have launched a serious attack on the VA. The only problem is that I was dwelling on my denial and it has to stop. I will take your advice ASAP!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Has been there OIF, sorry your claims were denied, but taking a pause should shed a different light on the papers. Myself, I am voting today, er, for Valentines Day to be moved up on the calendar! Best to ya, 'heart healthy' cg!

JBasser

I am glad I read this post. I was recently denied on all 3 of my claims and have launched a serious attack on the VA. The only problem is that I was dwelling on my denial and it has to stop. I will take your advice ASAP!!

• HadIt.com Elder

When working a VA claim like any other full time job it does not hurt to put it all aside and take a short vacation. Even a couple of weeks is good.