Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Received

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I am trying to determine if the VA really did send this out to veterans-

Last night's show on Suicides among veterans at SVR got a very large audience and I still am getting input from the show-

The Host Jerrel Cook called me after the show and wants to continue to pursue this topic of impotance to everyone who is a vet or has a vet or active military in their family.

The letter the VA claims is part of their Suicide Prevention program does define the key symptoms of suicidal ideation-and has the Hot line number in it---

and it is a good step in the right direction-

I just wonder if any veterans actually received it.

VA_Kussman_suicide_letter.doc

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

Text of Letter

Dear Veteran,

If you're experiencing an emotional crisis and need to talk with a trained VA professional,

the National Suicide Prevention toll-free hotline number, 1-800·273-TALK (8255), is

now available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You will be immediately connected with a

qualified and caring provider who can help.

Here are some suicide warning signs:

1. Threatening to hurt or kill yourself

2. Looking for ways to kill yourself

3. Seeking access to pills, weapons or other self destructive behavior

4. Talking about death, dying or suicide

The presence of these signs requires immediate attention. If you or a veteran you care

about has been showing any of these signs, do not hesitate to call and ask for help!

Additional warning signs may include:

1. Hopelessness

2. Rage, anger, seeking revenge

3. Acting reckless or engaging in risky activities, seemingly without thinking

4. Increasing alcohol or drug abuse

5. Feeling trapped -like there's no way out

6, Withdrawing from friends and family

7. Anxiety, agitation, inability to sleep - or, excessive sleepiness

8. Dramatic mood swings

9. Feeling there is no reason for living, no sense of purpose in life

Please call the toll-free hotline number, 1-800-273-TALK (8255) if you experience

any of these warning signs. We'll get you the help and assistance you need right away!

Sincerely yours,

Michael J. Kussman, MD, MS, MACP

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Veteran

If you have recently taken a large does of pills, attempted to hang yourself, cut your throat or jumped off a high building you may be at risk for suicide. Please call your local VA after you have completed your attempt. We will be there for you.

Your local VAMC

Thanks for the replies- it seems that the veteran has to be in the system already to get one and maybe they are only sending them to vets with documented mental disorders-

but maybe they should send every vet one of these-

I wonder if the "new" vets who Sec Peake has sent out mailings to-to have them come to the VA-got these letters enclosed with the invite-

ALL vets and their families should be aware of the signs of suicidal thoughts-

last night I spoke of the 4 suicides that closed down the Dallas Psychiatric ward- and the 7 suicides at the Spokane VA system-all since Jan 2008

as well as the suicide of a WWII vet recently in the parking lot of a VA clinic. They found his recent VA denial letter on his body.

A veteran does not have to have a documented mental disorder to become suicidal due to sheer frustration dealing with the system, as well as to many many other reasons-

often they get little support from family members-and these are the very people who should look for the signs of suicidal ideation-

also many anti anxiety and ant depression drugs can cause suicidal ideation in a veteran who never ever considered thoughts of suicide before taking the drug-

Paxil, Singular, Reglan-the list is long and vets must take the time to understand the side affects of what meds they are taking.

I have been waiting for call back from the PR person from the Canadaigua VA- where the VA Suicide Hot Line is centered -

I have some questions for him-that he might not be able to answer-

and the FOIA link at the VA web site has been shut down for maintenance or something- for last 3 days-(I think the FOIA link has been overwhelmed lately)

I need the link to see where best to direct some questions I have to the VA on a few matters-that this recent H VAC testimony brought to light-

The recent statement from Dr. Thomas Insel- at Monday's annual meeting of the APA (American PSychiatrist Assoc)

(Insel is director of NIMH -Naional Institute of Mental Health)

was a projection that suicides in Iraq and Afganistan veterans could easily "trump combat deaths."

More suicides than deaths from combat !!!!

Since over 4,000 men and women have already died in these conflicts already this is a staggering projection from someone- who-unlike the VA Mental Health Director-Dr. Katz-actually

knows what he is talking about.NIMH trumps the VA-just watch the H VAC hearing.

I just think the Kussman letter is a positive step but that this letter should be shared with every veteran and their families whether they are in the system or not and regardless of their disabilty.

Oh my goodness! I'm not sure if any of you remember, but back in 2006 the VA proposed to reduce my Major Depressive Disorder rating from 50% to 30% and I nearly hit the fan. I had an appointment to see my psych dr. and then the VA decided not to and here is what they had to say and I quote

"Evaluation of major depression, recurrent with psychotic features, which is currently 50 percent disabling, is continued because, your condition has not been shown to be so improved as to warrant an reduction in disability compensation.

The VA outpatient treatment reports showed you being seen on Sept. 14,2006 which showed you with a chronic psychosis experiencing increased stress with the proposed reduction to disability benefits and family situations. You were noted to be pleasant, calm, depressed with a flat effect and noted to be fragile. The assessment was major depression with psychotic features and a global assessment of functioning (GAF) score of 50." unquote

So, what do you all think about that? And I haven't received this suicide letter and brochure yet. All I can say is the VA needs to takes us more seriously and stop thinking that all vets are "putting on". It's terrible that you have to visit a C & P doctor for the VA to establish an opinon of you and your disabilities. In this case, they listened to my doctor after they listened to their C & P doctor who it seems tried to sabatoge my benefits, and I wouldn't be having these problems if it wasn't for the military...

Cherie33