Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Received

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I am trying to determine if the VA really did send this out to veterans-

Last night's show on Suicides among veterans at SVR got a very large audience and I still am getting input from the show-

The Host Jerrel Cook called me after the show and wants to continue to pursue this topic of impotance to everyone who is a vet or has a vet or active military in their family.

The letter the VA claims is part of their Suicide Prevention program does define the key symptoms of suicidal ideation-and has the Hot line number in it---

and it is a good step in the right direction-

I just wonder if any veterans actually received it.

VA_Kussman_suicide_letter.doc

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If I was really suicidal the VA is probably the last place I would go for help. Unless you just want to be locked up for a while. If you tell them you are seriously suicidal they have a duty to confine you if they believe you are a danger to yourself or others. I was admitted that way twice and it was a big mistake. I had a heck of a time getting out.

The vietnam vet who received this letter, I convinced him to take the agent orange test, of which they came up with 7 items, PTSD was one of them. They sent him to va hosp to see a phych, and after that, about a month, he received the letter w/ the brochure, this happened in the last couple of months..

Edited by buickx

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems that the VA has decided to ignore any request for anything involving records, even when the request is contained in and part of a direct reply to a letter from the VA requiring a veteran to do something that obviously requires access to the records.

The Reply from the VA when asked about this was that the veteran must request access or a copy via FOIA.

"and the FOIA link at the VA web site has been shut down for maintenance or something- for last 3 days-(I think the FOIA link has been overwhelmed lately)"

Thanks for the replies- it seems that the veteran has to be in the system already to get one and maybe they are only sending them to vets with documented mental disorders-

but maybe they should send every vet one of these-

I wonder if the "new" vets who Sec Peake has sent out mailings to-to have them come to the VA-got these letters enclosed with the invite-

ALL vets and their families should be aware of the signs of suicidal thoughts-

last night I spoke of the 4 suicides that closed down the Dallas Psychiatric ward- and the 7 suicides at the Spokane VA system-all since Jan 2008

as well as the suicide of a WWII vet recently in the parking lot of a VA clinic. They found his recent VA denial letter on his body.

A veteran does not have to have a documented mental disorder to become suicidal due to sheer frustration dealing with the system, as well as to many many other reasons-

often they get little support from family members-and these are the very people who should look for the signs of suicidal ideation-

also many anti anxiety and ant depression drugs can cause suicidal ideation in a veteran who never ever considered thoughts of suicide before taking the drug-

Paxil, Singular, Reglan-the list is long and vets must take the time to understand the side affects of what meds they are taking.

I have been waiting for call back from the PR person from the Canadaigua VA- where the VA Suicide Hot Line is centered -

I have some questions for him-that he might not be able to answer-

and the FOIA link at the VA web site has been shut down for maintenance or something- for last 3 days-(I think the FOIA link has been overwhelmed lately)

I need the link to see where best to direct some questions I have to the VA on a few matters-that this recent H VAC testimony brought to light-

The recent statement from Dr. Thomas Insel- at Monday's annual meeting of the APA (American PSychiatrist Assoc)

(Insel is director of NIMH -Naional Institute of Mental Health)

was a projection that suicides in Iraq and Afganistan veterans could easily "trump combat deaths."

More suicides than deaths from combat !!!!

Since over 4,000 men and women have already died in these conflicts already this is a staggering projection from someone- who-unlike the VA Mental Health Director-Dr. Katz-actually

knows what he is talking about.NIMH trumps the VA-just watch the H VAC hearing.

I just think the Kussman letter is a positive step but that this letter should be shared with every veteran and their families whether they are in the system or not and regardless of their disabilty.

John -you said exactly what I was thinking-in a way-

"This is probably only for OIF and OEF vets. They are hoping the old guys will kill themselves"

hahahahahahahahahahaha so damn funny but "more than likely" true!

I got the letter dated March 10th and brochure some time ago.

I am an older vet (post Viet Nam, pre-Gulf) rated 100% schedular for bipolar disorder.

You open up the brochure and in big letters it states that "VA Cares About You" which I know is bs since they denied my claim for service connection by ignoring the letters from the shrinks who treated me while I was on active duty, then they low balled me 50% depsite the C&P examiner stating I was 100%, and finally granted 100% after I spent a fortune on an IMO.

The VA doesn't give a lick about me and my problems - they were a major stressor in my life for years which only makes the bp worse (and let's face it, if I'm 100% it can get really bad as it is w/out them messing with my claim) which is why, so long as I can afford it, I will use my civilian shrink and doctor for all my health care. I don't trust the VA.

Then, on the next page, you guys are gonna love this - it states "Don't Wait" and the last page states "Don't Delay". Give me a break! That's all the VA does is wait and delay.

The whole thing annoyed me more than anything but I did get the letter and, simply on principle, am glad they have a suicide hotline.

TS Snave

Edited by tssnave