Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Received

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I am trying to determine if the VA really did send this out to veterans-

Last night's show on Suicides among veterans at SVR got a very large audience and I still am getting input from the show-

The Host Jerrel Cook called me after the show and wants to continue to pursue this topic of impotance to everyone who is a vet or has a vet or active military in their family.

The letter the VA claims is part of their Suicide Prevention program does define the key symptoms of suicidal ideation-and has the Hot line number in it---

and it is a good step in the right direction-

I just wonder if any veterans actually received it.

VA_Kussman_suicide_letter.doc

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Amazing, I suffer from major depression and I haven't received nothing. I've been admitted to inpatient treatment for suicide ideation.

Maybe the VA assumes I already know the signs, but why hasn't the VA sent me this letter?

It seems veterans such as myself should be the first ones to receive the letter.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is probably only for OIF and OEF vets. They are hoping the old guys will kill themselves. Seriously speaking, the VA just does not give a damn. The health care system is charity. This is not some place you want to go if you have serious problems mental or physical. I know some have no choice, but I have never received good care at the VA except for them being liberal with pain pills.

I never got one, never heard anything about it, and am rated 100% for PTSD p&T, with agrophia with panic attacks, so maybe depends on part of the country you live in, but I also go to combat veterans meetings at the va every 2 weeks, with other Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan veterans

John -you said exactly what I was thinking-in a way-

"This is probably only for OIF and OEF vets. They are hoping the old guys will kill themselves"

The VA itself (see VA Home page) has taken measures that are devisive to all veterans-

Maybe when the OIF OEF vets get the Invite letter than the VA will send them the suicide letter-if they join the VA health care system.

I have tried to contact the Public Affairs Director in Canandaigua VA for some info for our next show at SVR on the suicide problem in veterans-but he fails to call me back-

I guess I should have called him Before that hearing Wednesday!

Bob Walsh (veterans attorney) just emailed me a wonderful guest I could have on the show- a doctor who is familiar with both PTSD and suicide in veterans.Mike Harris has also had an excellent PTSD docor on his SVR shows-

He will be hosting next Wednesday's SVR show-

the station wants us to keep on the track of all this.

Stardust Radio is run by a civilian on a shoe string budget and is dedicated to providing information and important news to all veterans and our Military and our audience is sure growing-

Men and women in our military in Iraq sent in donations for the sole fund raiser we ever had on the air-as well as countless veterans and their families here stateside recently.

I just wanted to mention this as someone thought I got paid to do shows there-

the fact is I have donated money to keep this radio station on the air-to reach our Military and veterans community.

I was diagnosed positive for PTSD a couple years ago but am not under going treatment or rated for it nor claimed it (was never in combat).

I have not recieved any such letter.

I have a claim in for PTSD. I had my C&P for it on Feb 1 of 2008. The C&P write up said I had severe and chronic PTSD. I have been seeing a VA psych since the exam in Feb. I received this letter last Saturday and I am a Vietnam vet.