Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Non-service Connected Disability Pension

Rate this question

Guest allanopie


Guest allanopie

Non-Service Connected Disability Pension

l. Benefit Description

Non-Service Connected Disability Pension is a Department of Veterans Affairs benefits program that provides financial support to wartime veterans having limited income. The amount VA will pay you under this program depends on the type and amount of income you and your family members receive from other sources. Payments are made to you to bring your total annual income, including other retirement and Social Security income, to an established support level. Countable income may be reduced by unreimbursed medical expenses.

II. Eligibility

Generally, you must have 90 days or more of service of which at least 1 day must have occurred during a period of war, and you must have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.

You must have a disability(ies) that VA evaluates as permanent and total. For VA pension purposes, permanent and total means it is not likely that you will be able to maintain a substantially gainful job. Unemployability and age are factors also considered in VA's eligibility decision.

III. How to Apply

Obtain a copy of VA Form 21-526, Veteran's Application for Compensation or Pension, from the Veterans Benefits Administration forms web site. Fill in the required information and mail the form to the VA Regional Office (Microsoft Word Doc) that serves your area. The following supporting evidence and/or documents should be submitted with your application (If any of the evidence is not immediately available, send in the application anyway. The date VA receives your application is important to you, if VA grants your claim. VA benefits payments usually will begin from that date regardless of when the claim is approved.):

Medical Records - Medical records to provide a diagnosis and prognosis of your current medical condition and to substantiate any and all treatment by private doctors and hospitals.

Dependency Documents - Original or copies of birth and marriage certificates and copies of divorce/death record terminating your prior and those of your spouse.

Military Discharge/DD Form 214 - (Copy 4 - Member Copy) Those applicants who have a copy of their DD-214 are encouraged to provide a copy with their claim to expedite processing. Otherwise, VA will attempt to obtain verification from the service department. Copies of missing DD Forms 214 may be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO through the NARA web site.

IV. Other Related Benefits

Health Care Benefits

Vocational Training

Burial Benefits

Prosthetic Devices

Additional information on these benefits may be obtained from the Federal Benefits Manual for Veterans and Dependents. A copy of this publication may be downloaded from the VA Home Page. You will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader to read and print the document.


Contact your local VA Regional Office for additional assistance by dialing our toll-free number 1-800-827-1000. Or, you may e-mail the Regional Office that serves your area through the Veterans Benefits Administration e-mail contacts page.

This page was last updated 7/28/99. WS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Popular Days

0 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

There have been no answers to this question yet

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use