VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Billing Private Insure For Care. 1i'm 00% P&t?

Rate this question

coconutvee

Question

I'm 100% disabled P&T. I get treated at the VAMC for my service connected conditions, but the VA is billing United Heath care for it. WTF!!!!! Is this new? Now I'm stuck paying co-payments to UHC. I thought that the VA is supposed to treat all my service connected conditions for free? If they are wrong what can I do to correct this?

Thanks

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rentaldude, what you are saying is correct, BUT that does not apply TO the VA. What I mean is, is that the VA is required BY LAW to seek all the reimbursement it can from PRIVATE insurance.

Unlike what someone here has stated, though, the VA is NOT allowed to bill Medicare/Medicaid.

I just received a nice "bonus" from the VA......they were kinda sloooooow in "getting" the word that I was no longer 20%, but, instead, was 80%....and I was a good GI and paid them whenever they sent me a bill for my co-pays, until I was down at the VA Med Cntr and stopped by the office that does the billing for co-pays and told them....about 3-4 months later...a check in the mail. So, they really do try, or at least they did in my instance, to do what is "right".

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree, Larry...but your private insurance company can tell them to stuff it. Especially if your insurance is like mine and only pays preferred providers. if I don't go to someone on the list, they don't pay. The VA has billed my private insurance for SC'd services, and my private insurance never paid them. I never got a bill for it, either, though. I do have to pay for two medications that are not SC'd, but billing did tell me that if my current claims put me over the 50% mark, they will reimburse me all of what I have paid them while the claims were working. I, too, have been a good little GI and paid them when I got a statement. :unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, yeah, and one other thing (I'm a Thread Hijacker, sorry 'bout dat) and that is this....

If yer 30% or over, don't forgit to stop by the "travel office" and git yer moneys fer going back and forth 'twixt yer hacienda and the VAMC, purvided dat you goes fer 'nough.

It runs about $36.00 a month fer me. Ain't near 'nuff considerin gasoline prices, but, heah. It's sumpthin...........

• HadIt.com Elder

You know that if you have a claim in for IU or 100% and have dental work done in the interval you can get reimbursed for it. I did it. Saved me around 2000 bucks. You do have to fight "tooth and nail", but it is possible. The VA guards the right to dental care like it is Fort Knox.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have a question. If I still get treated by my private insurance for service connected issues, would the VA be responsible for reembursing the Insurance company? In other words can I flip it on the VA? LOL

You can attempt it, but usually they won't pay for it unless they are the ones that sent you to that doctor.