VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Billing Private Insure For Care. 1i'm 00% P&t?

Rate this question

coconutvee

Question

I'm 100% disabled P&T. I get treated at the VAMC for my service connected conditions, but the VA is billing United Heath care for it. WTF!!!!! Is this new? Now I'm stuck paying co-payments to UHC. I thought that the VA is supposed to treat all my service connected conditions for free? If they are wrong what can I do to correct this?

Thanks

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just got off the phone with Eliglbility or Finance in St. Petersburg Regional. They check and they show me being 100% P&T. The Lady said that they should not be billing my insurance since I'm 100%. The letter I did get is a EOB. I do not have to pay any co-payments thank GOD. I'm still upset at the fact that the VA is trying to get over on the insurance company. How in the hell do they think they can charge UHC for treating me for service connected conditions? I called United Health Care and they said that they did pay and there is nothing they can do. That I'll have to take care of it with the VA. You would think that they would try to recover their money? ANyhow thanks guys!!

Being 100 % P and T, Are you drawing SSDI.

You have medicare if you do. The VA cannot bill another Government insurance.

I know a fellow who was paying high premiums for private insurance and then dropped it when he got Medicare.

His family is covered unde Champ VA.

J

The VA is allowed to bill private insurance for VA copays only. That way if you're like me, 30%, you don't have to pay anything out of pocket. I should not have any VA co-pays for sc'd conditions. For treatment of non-sc'd conditions I would have to pay a $20 dollar va co-pay. Instead of paying the VA, they will bill my insurance for the $2o co-pay. That's the way I understand it.

coconutvee,

Glad your getting it worked out. If you've paid in co-pays

you CAN get them all back (from when you were granted 100%).

VA bills Insurance Co. - Medicare, Medicaid, who ever they can.

Taint nuthin new babycakes............................

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

This is good advice and I'm wondering how to prove copays to the VA. Either have the insurance company summarize specific copays to the VAMC or take dozens of Explanation of Benefit letters for proof? Any ideas the best and most sure fire way to approach this?

thanks, Great question and reminder, money is scarce!

cg

coconutvee,

Get in touch with Eliglbility or Finance and straighten it out and request any co-payments you've paid be refunded.

jmho,

carlie

Edited by cowgirl

• HadIt.com Elder

It is a damn disgrace for a 100% vet to be charged for anything, but they have the right to do it. They even charged my BC/BS for a C&P exam. I called BC/BS and told them but they just did nothing to recoup their money. I pay nothing out of pocket. I go to the VA for one reason which is to document my disabilites. I use my own insurance and medicare for treatment of anything serious. Sad but true. A lot of old gizzers go to the VA to die so their spouses don't get the death bill. Most I see at my VAMC are about half-dead anyway.

Billing contacted me today trying to cover their asses because I called United Health care again and finally they are doing an audit on all the VA bills. The VA billed them for everything the VA did from x-rays to drawing blood for my service connected conditions. They did admit to 1 error out of 36 claims. I spoke with a nurse in billing and she said that getting blood drawn is not service connected. I hung up on her. It is a big racket they have going on to make money. She even admitted that is a way for them to get funding. Yet they hired 4 interior decorators at a cost of $660,000 a year just in Tampa! Ya gotta love the Government. LOL