VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Billing Private Insure For Care. 1i'm 00% P&t?

Rate this question

coconutvee

Question

I'm 100% disabled P&T. I get treated at the VAMC for my service connected conditions, but the VA is billing United Heath care for it. WTF!!!!! Is this new? Now I'm stuck paying co-payments to UHC. I thought that the VA is supposed to treat all my service connected conditions for free? If they are wrong what can I do to correct this?

Thanks

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA lies so much they don't recognize the truth. If you have SC DMII how could drawing blood not be for a SC condition since they must check glocose levels. Also if you are getting pain meds for SC condition they check blood and urine. They charge my insurance for this and also for pills.

• HadIt.com Elder

Coconut

I would keep going to the VAMC just to document that you are still getting treatment. That is what the VBA is really concerned about and not results.

• HadIt.com Elder

The gray area is if you are taking any drugs other than those specifically for direct treatment of Diabetes II. The protocol for treatment also requires control of such things as blood pressure and HDCL & LDCL. The VA tries to avoid paying for these drugs as SC'd to diabetes. Then, the VA will undoubtedly claim that since the blood tests are required for other drugs, they should be chargeable. However, if you obtain drugs under the Veteran's drug act, and treatment id by private doctors, other details kick in.

I've been fighting this one for several years. I wish there was a way that my insurance company could refuse payment, stating that the drugs are related to diabetes treatment, and thus are the VA's responsibility. Trouble is, the insurance company has "big government" and regulatory problems to deal with, and will generally not "rock the boat" over minor issues. The last go around, the insurance company raised the deductible, and annual out of pocket, such that the majority of the VA's claims are not paid by the insurance company. And, I try to get any billable items dealt with in such a was as to have the out of pocket work at least NOT for the VA.

Currently, I can obtain a 3 months supply of the majority of drugs I take from many of the retail chains (Wal Mart, etc) for $10 per drug. The VA would like to charge the Vet $24 for the same quantity. (And, pill splitting is not an issue as it is with the VA.)

The VA lies so much they don't recognize the truth. If you have SC DMII how could drawing blood not be for a SC condition since they must check glocose levels. Also if you are getting pain meds for SC condition they check blood and urine. They charge my insurance for this and also for pills.
Edited by Chuck75

It sucks that I'm 100% P&T and I go to the VA to get treated for SC issues only, yet they are still charging UHC for my treatments. UHC is doing an audit of all my charges hopfully they will get there money back. The Nurse at billing was a total bitch. She got very defensive when I question her why she is charging UHC for SC treatments? Anyhow I notified the IG about it and now she is calling me kissing my ass. I hung up on her. I'm through with the VA. I'll go every three months for my SC checkup and make sure that the Doctor rights SERVICE CONNECTED, or I'm walking. I'll go get quality care at a real Hospital and just take give the VA copies of my treatment records. The Hell with the whole fu&&king system! When I'm ready to die I'll go to the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck...if you are 50% or greater SC'd for anything, then you DO NOT have any copays...whatsoever. You can go in for a stubbed toe and not have to pay a copay.

coconut...SICK 'EM! I love to see the IG get involved and the amount tap dancing and butt kissing that ensues.