Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Service Connected Disability.

Rate this question

noscopes4me

Question

Ok. I was discharged in 1990 With service connected Disability (10% Plantor Fascitis) Was finalized in 1991. I have been receiving this since 91. So now as of 2008 I cant take it anymore and have really degenerated since and am re-opening my disability claim.

I know I have bilateral PF and its quadripaled in pain and has affected my knees,ankles and back in a very painful way. I can only stand about 15 minutes without sitting and relieving the pain which also comes from my knees and back to the point I cant even stand I cant work at my job fulltime anymore and tried a driving truck job to get off my feet and pain is just as bad with sitting all the time and it kills my back. I am very worried soon I will not be able to work at all. I have a wife and 2 kids and am really in a bind. I have no college education and am honestly hoping I will get some kind of relief from the VA.

It been a long time and I have fought to work and pull my wieght but I just cant anymore and Im only 38 years old. I called the VA and had them re-open my claim the other day and am just waiting for a letter to go up there to start the proccess. Is there anything else I should do? Or sombody else I should contact? Not sure where to go from here besides the obvious. And do I have any chance of getting the disabilty raised?

Thanks alot everybody and god bless!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome to Hadit. You don't need a means test to be treated for Service Connected Disability.

A claim or reopen of claim should include a letter to RO stating what you want and why. It seems to be more or less what you posted should help you.

Good Luck

Before I sound like I am sticking my foot in my mouth, I would like to say for someone to correct me if I am wrong or just totally off base here.

noscopes4me stated he was only getting 10% for his SC condition. I don't think that releaves him from paying the deductable for medications, that is if his means test results are not below the VA's alloted amount. I could be wrong, but I think your SC rating must be higher to be exempt, at least from paying the co-pay for medications, should he be perscribed any after he gets his appointment with a VA Dr.

Also, since he doesn't appear to be enrolled with a VA Health System, I think the Means test paperwork has to be filled out anyway, just so their is no further questions needed, to determine his exemption or co-pay status.

Rockhound Rider :D

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are asking to get an increase on your PF (I know how bad it can be) you don't need to re-open your claim. You just write a letter to the VA and tell them your condition has gotten worse and you believe you are entitled to more compensation. To get compensation for your ankles, legs, back etc you are going to have to get opinions saying that those other conditions are secondary to the PF. Getting more than 10% for PF alone would probably require that you get surgery on your feet and that surgery not resolve the problems. PF is not considered a serious condition by all who don't have it. Most podiatrists deal with it all the time, but it resolves itself with orthotics. Mine, like yours, has not and I can't walk or run or even stand for more than a few minutes without pain. Mine is not SC because when I was in the service I thought everybody who wore army boots had sore feet. You can get free medical treatment for your feet. Be careful about letting these guys operate on your feet. If you do get the classic PF surgery expect to have a slow recovery.

You say I should write to them? I called a 1800 number and they told me that they would send me the paperwork for to increase my disability I already have. I recieved a letter statiing they recieved my application for increase in disability but I never filled out an application so Im assuming my phone called started all this at least i hope so. From what date would I get retro pay for when I made the call or when they sent me a letter? I am assuming they will have me go up there to check me out and such and that is the time I should bring all my records up with me. If this doesnt sound right please let me know. I still need to find a Vso to help get this rolling. Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

To save you a lot of bumps in the road and a whole lot of time, you may want to fill out a 21-4138 and state on that form that you want to file for an increase of your service connected PF.

Send it certified mail signature requested so they dont lose it.

You may also want to seek treatment for the condition. You are in Priority group 3 at the VA with 10 percent so they cannot turn you down for treatment.

The means test is called a financial means test. Everyone except for folks that are SC 50 percent or higher

have to fill this out. The VA still bills your insurance for NSC conditions if you have any.

If you are below the VA threshould for income then the VA can also waive the copays.

Remeber, they will not give you anything, You have to ask for it.

Good Luck

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

No:

In fact you have informally notified the VARO that you intend to file a claim. It will effectively fix your effective date but only if you follow up with the claim within one year. Once a decision is made if you do not agree with it you have one year to file a Notice of Disagreement and if it goes up the chain to the BVA an they make a decision that you don't agree with you have 60 days to preserve your rights to continue.

Fortunately when you file a Notice of disagreement you are now able to hire an attorney.

These deadlines have tripped up more than one Veteran. Getting a VSO is a good idea for a new person but I suggest that you continue to research your claim here.

Good Lck to you.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.