Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Hate The Va! I Hate Them I Hate Them I Hate Them

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

So, I'm so mad I can't see straight right now. They denied the increase again. I can't believe it, I really just can't understand how a DOCTOR'S OPINION, the DOCTOR WHO TREATS MY HUSBAND TREATS HIM! can be ignored for a lower rating. RATERS ARE NOT DOCTORS! DAMN, I'm pissed. I am sitting here shaking I'm so mad.

post-4011-1229372259_thumb.jpg

post-4011-1229372270_thumb.jpg

post-4011-1229372278_thumb.jpg

Edited by SouthernBelle

• Answers 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Tayo. The thing is this, though: As many PTSD patients know, if you change doctors, it takes a few months to build trust. This was the case with my husband. The treatment records immediately AFTER the dates they used get very detailed and in depth. I sent them the copies, they "never got them." Having said that, they need to look at the most recent treatment records and evaluate based on that. They know it takes a Veteran a while to trust the new doctors, that's why (I think) they used those particular dates; there's nothing TO the treatment. Appointments went like this:

(Doctor) "So, how are you feeling?"

(Hubby) "Fine"

(D) "Anything you want to talk about?"

(H) "Nope"

(D) "How's the medication?"

(H) "It sucks"

(D) "Why?"

(H) "Because. Can I leave now?"

(D) "I really think we should talk"

(H) "I can't yet, I don't feel like it"

(D) "Okay, well, maybe next time?"

(H) "Will there be a next time?"

(D) "Of course, Mr. XXXXXXX, why would you ask that?"

(H) "Just had a lot of doctors ditch me"

(D) "Huh. I'll see you in a month, we will talk then, right?"

(H) "Maybe, thank you for your time, sorry I wasted it."

THIS is what it was like for a few months in a row. (He only had ONE appointment a month). That's why I got so mad. They used the records that LEAST supported the higher rating, even though I SENT THEM the newest copies of everything. They just didn't want to give the higher rating.

OMG SouthernBelle,

I COMPLETELY understand about sending VA copies of things and they never get it. I just experienced that,,, they told me that "ALL" my documents sent to them were "misplaced."

URGGHHH!!!

I am starting to think that the VA doesn't want to grant benefits,,, that maybe a reason why the most important documents are "misplaced." The documents that would prove a higher rate.

I'm so glad you got to talk to someone. I actually learned from you. I had no idea we could actually call and get to speak with a DRO.

Please, keep fighting and posting what you are doing. Once again,,, I am taking notes so I know what I can do in my case.

Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks,,,

Tayo

• HadIt.com Elder

Tayo...I wasn't saying to "be the rating." That would be falsification, which would put a veteran both in jail and in the poor house. Her veteran is already the 70% rating, and quite possibly the 100% rating. What I was saying is get concrete, documented proof of this, in strict VA language, and then do everything you have to do to stick that evidence under the nose of the rater. It usually is as simple as stating your case to your VA doc, showing them the decision letter, and asking if they can translate their medical opinion into VARO language in the vets records. It has worked well for me, and several others that I have spoke with, including some on this board.

• HadIt.com Elder

I told the doctor the truth and I thought I was doing quite well, it seems that my opinion was shall we say not the correct opinion. It is very hard to open up and share. Having PTSD is not like having a rash that we need to show the doctor. While fraud is a crime, it is also a fraud to yourself not to come to grips with a mental health illness that is ruining your life. If that is what in fact is happening then the VA needs to know and compensate you properly. I think he should be 100% without delay.

• HadIt.com Elder
Tayo...I wasn't saying to "be the rating." That would be falsification, which would put a veteran both in jail and in the poor house. Her veteran is already the 70% rating, and quite possibly the 100% rating. What I was saying is get concrete, documented proof of this, in strict VA language, and then do everything you have to do to stick that evidence under the nose of the rater. It usually is as simple as stating your case to your VA doc, showing them the decision letter, and asking if they can translate their medical opinion into VARO language in the vets records. It has worked well for me, and several others that I have spoke with, including some on this board.

Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head. Getting the VARO and the VA Doctors on the same page is imparative and can make or break a claim.

J