Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The "dro Hearing Officer"

Rate this question

yoggie2

Question

I have some questions on how the mind set of this person is before we get down to business, I have got the feel of how it will be but how does these things below go?

1. Will the DRO officer have already made up his mind on my claim before he sets down or does he wait to view all evidence then decide?

2. Will the DRO officer ask me what evidence I have to prove certain claims?

3. Will the DRO officer make a derision on whether to grant my claim then and there even though it will be rated at a later date?

4. If I filed for IU Will the DRO officer tell me if I will be granted?

Thanks guy, for all your help...Yogg

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

yoggie - it is hard to truly speak on how another human mind will react. Eventhough we all speak our minds about the VA and the ups and downs we have with them, for the most part the DRO's that I have dealt with are very sympathic toward the veteran and try their best to comply with the law. All but one or two of them have been very professional and knowledgeable of their jobs.

1. Will the DRO officer have already made up his mind on my claim before he sets down or does he wait to view all evidence then decide?

-They should have a very good understanding of your issues as they should have already reviewed your cfile as it pertains to the claim at hand. He or she will have a very good perspective on if the evidence currently on hand supports the claim or not. Now this is where you come in. Regardless of whether or not they have their mind made up you gotta knock them out of their under pants by providing the most supportive medical evidence and most logical and medically supportive arguments you can. You can do it.....for you know your disability better than anyone. You need to look at the denial again before going into the hearing and insure your arguments are directly against the denial. This is the most important as you have waited for your turn quite some time. You do not want to go in and waste you time pissing and moaning about the short stick the VA has given you (AND THEY HAVE) for if you do then I can almost tell you now what the decision will be!!!!!

-Most if not all of them will not ask for a "definite proof". As you are providing your summary testimony they do listen. When they hear something they have read in the file they will ask clarifying questions about what you said - so such as Mr. vet you stated that you wear a brace on your left leg. So does that mean you have balance problems? does the brace help? Also he/she should ask you for any additional evidence you have to support your claim - If they don't let them know if you do.

3. Will the DRO officer make a derision on whether to grant my claim then and there even though it will be rated at a later date? I have never been to a hearing with a vet where this has been done. Keep in mind that the hearing is for your to present evidence and not for them to review it. Therefore, they will have to review the file, the new evidence and the transcript of the hearing before they make a decision and rating.

-As above I do not believe this will happen for I am sure they will have to rate your current claim before they commit to a IU decision.

I do not know if my answers help you or not but as we all know the VA has their proceedures in the claims process. Sad thing is we vets gotta live with them. Good luck my friend. Be calm, respectful and straight forward. You will do fine.

Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder

I look at a DRO Hearing as an opportunity to discuss your claim with a human being and to demonstrate to this perosn that the VA delays and unfairness affects a human also. Its also a chance to tell your side of the claim and even better to ask how in God's name that certain evidence was overlooked or ignored.

Most claims that end up in upper level of the VA have not ad a good look at the evidence that supports the claim.

Good Luck

As Alex Humpfrey used to say "Another bite at the apple"

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks you fellers, This is need to know stuff and I very much appreciate the help, and the detail. thanks Rich

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

DRO does nothing more than that. He/she does not work on other "jobs" and supposedly he has looked over your claim and at the evidence you have presented. He/she should have an open mind and give you an opportunity to prove your case. It basically is all up to you to show and tell. You have convince the DRO that you are on point and that you have the evidence to prove it. You do that one piece at a time and you should have a diary or log of what it is that you want to present and be ready to follow your outline. Do not get in a hurry and just be honest and to the point. Point out items that VA has not read or considered and why it is important to your case. You will find they give you the time you need and hopefully the consideration you deserve. Good luck, Q

bobbyq

• HadIt.com Elder

Just having a human being look at your evidence for 5 minutes can make all the difference. I think our claims are usually handled like widgets in a factory. They just stash them and slash them. They hardly look the first few times you are up for consideration. After two years you finally get a DRO to look at the evidence you then have a chance. It is the damn waiting for a half-decent review that kills us. When you original decision is so full of errors such as not even getting the basics right there is no excuse for this. The VA knows that most vets don't even appeal their decisions. Why not just deny them all? You cut out 50% of compensation awards.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your IU is also an appeal issue since you were denied for it Feb 08.

J

I have some questions on how the mind set of this person is before we get down to business, I have got the feel of how it will be but how does these things below go?

3. Will the DRO officer make a derision on whether to grant my claim then and there even though it will be rated at a later date?

Thanks guy, for all your help...Yogg

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.