oversee programs for homeless Veterans, consumer affairs and special

rehabilitative events.

Duckworth was appointed director of the state Veterans office in

Illinois in 2006. In previous testimony before Congress, she expressed

her commitment to Veterans and the need for transformation of the

Department. "The VA system faces new challenges as a result of the wars

in Iraq and Afghanistan." She also noted "the patient profile is

changing. More wounded soldiers are surviving very serious injuries."

(PS - another news link I saw says there will be 400,000 potential more servicemen and women in the VA system from the Iraq/Afganistan wars.

This is reason to make sure, right from the git go that you send the VA some evidence with your claims or respond to the VCAA letter with exactly what they ask for if you can.)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

We can all hope and pray. Politics are what they are and if she can avoid that then we have a chance. Keeping my finger crossed.

What we really need is veterans beating down the doors of their congressmen. We need hearings where vets are able to tell about the screwjobs they have received from the VA. Pressure in terms of money and votes is all the people with the power to help us understand. There are so many other problems competing with vet problems. I mean there are millions of people getting ready to lose their homes. If the veteran vote could be mobilized we would be in clover. Every southern state is full of vets, but they vote for those who disrespect them and screw them every chance they get. Maybe Ducksworth will help if she has major backing of Obama. It is not just a tin ear, but money that makes the VA go round. Cleland was a triple amputee and did nothing for vets when he was boss of the VA.

you said it all john,and i have a feeling hell will break loose if they screw the oef

oif vets and put them what we nam vets have been through. it may take a while

but i believe these guys will rise up. they are young and computer wise we did not

have access to the knowledge these guys have . knowledge is power!

Duckworth has been there and done that. Now she needs to adjust to the smoke screen on the federal level. Meaning: what she is told (by VA) is probably not so or not the whole story. From what I hear--she is the type person who likes to get down to find out what the employees are or are not doing. Hopefully, she will help place some fire under the butts of every VA Regional Office Director, telling them: "What was is no longer so" and if it is "you are gone with the wind". I think she can do a lot of good and is an excellent choice.

My wife's aunt is from Decatur,IL. and spoke well of Duckworth. Also, I've talked to a Vietnam and Persian Gulf vet(both from Illinois) with positive opinions. The Governor is a nut case in Illinois, who can blame Duckworth for leaving? And....if she did a good job under that Gov., she may be alright. I do not know her claim/amount ranking.

I really dont know that much about Duckworth, but I am all for giving her the chance.

However, I am not sure about this, but was she one of the Spokespersons on Dr. Phil? I think I remember she was a disabled Vet..no legs..female..probably not too many of them.

It seemed like she said she was from Illinois, but was more like the head of a state VSO and did not work for VA.

Anyway, if that woman is the one, there is no doubt in my mind she is Pro-Vet and will do right by us.

WE NEED many more "pro Vet" people in authority..the higher the authority the better. I really dont think the Secretary of Veterans affairs should be a "political" decision. I do feel pretty good about Shinseki-Duckworth being pro-vet, but I guess only time will tell.