Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestion

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Mods please chime in

We get convoluted questions here from time to time because people are asking questions for a friend or relative.

Isnt it much better if these individuals simply join us themselves if they have PC access?

What gets me too-is that I sometimes get emails from some of my vets org members telling me they are helping a veteran with a VA claim and then they ask me how to help the veteran-

I send them to hadit.I dont do claims stuff in emails.

Everything they need is here and they get more help than advice from just one person.

I can understand that many dont have access to hadit- but still a lot can be lost or misunderstood when the info goes through 3 rd person.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Mods please chime in

We get convoluted questions here from time to time because people are asking questions for a friend or relative.

Isnt it much better if these individuals simply join us themselves if they have PC access?

What gets me too-is that I sometimes get emails from some of my vets org members telling me they are helping a veteran with a VA claim and then they ask me how to help the veteran-

I send them to hadit.I dont do claims stuff in emails.

Everything they need is here and they get more help than advice from just one person.

I can understand that many dont have access to hadit- but still a lot can be lost or misunderstood when the info goes through 3 rd person.

Berta,

At another site I asked a question for a vet and got some answers. This vet is not on the computer very much and didn't even know how to ask or get started. Once I got the answer for how to get him started in the process, I printed off the whole topic and replies, copied forms off the VA site as well as some info and handed it all to him saying this will get you started, use the highlighted computer addresses if you have other questions.

I don't intend to do all the work for him, but I didn't mind introducing him to areas where he could get help and what might be good to begin his journey.

My solution may not work for everyone, but like you, I didn't want any misunderstanding as to what needed to be done. Printing off the topic in its entirety gave him the exact question I asked as well as the good answers given. It was something to begin the process.

I don't know whether he will follow through but if he does I will help him to get here and elsewhere as he needs it. Initially though I wanted to let him know that he had options. The info included my website so veteran sites are available to him.

fanaticbooks

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

I am not a mod but I wanted to chirp in here. I am a printer mogul too. I ask the questions, copy the replies and give it to them to make their choice/choices. One is 86 yrs old not about to think about utalizing the computer. Is reluctant to even try. Thats another reason I am on my 3rd printer, haha. I am a fanatic with different colored highlighters too. Question 1 color, answers another, also change colors related to subject matter. My books are highlighted with maybe 6-8 colors plus colored paper clips...my VBM is starting to look rather rainbowish too.

Seriously I live in a very rural area where a vet rep may come to a neighboring town 1 or 2 times a month and drives a few hrs to get there so that doesn't leave much time. I spoke to this person 2x on the phone and discovered I knew more than she did but she was willing to learn.

Va hosps are 120, 137, 157 miles away and more. Clinics are almost a bad a travel too.

If I hear about a vet sinking/or not knowing what to do I copy the processes from our infamous web sites and hand it over...The latest is Viet Nam vet who contracted hep c and now diabetic. Finally got him to put in a claim. If I can help someone, I will try, and if I don't know the answers I know what resourses to use, and you can bet your butt I will search anywhere.

No one, I do mean no one helped me in the beginning, and it was trial by error... bought Roche's books, leggets, and about 15-20 more, at least, then I found watchdog(Larry and Jim), and vet friendly site at msn changed to yahoo, one at yuku, col dan, veterans to vet ,then I found hadit via another vet site. There are others too but I do not frequent them as much.

Am greatful if I am able to help anyone at all, and for the outpouring of help on these user friendly sites.

The day someone thinks they know it all is the day they need to travel down another road. Be humble people open your mind to new adventures, when you can try and move the ptsd aside even for just a brief moment.

Berta,

At another site I asked a question for a vet and got some answers. This vet is not on the computer very much and didn't even know how to ask or get started. Once I got the answer for how to get him started in the process, I printed off the whole topic and replies, copied forms off the VA site as well as some info and handed it all to him saying this will get you started, use the highlighted computer addresses if you have other questions.

I don't intend to do all the work for him, but I didn't mind introducing him to areas where he could get help and what might be good to begin his journey.

My solution may not work for everyone, but like you, I didn't want any misunderstanding as to what needed to be done. Printing off the topic in its entirety gave him the exact question I asked as well as the good answers given. It was something to begin the process.

I don't know whether he will follow through but if he does I will help him to get here and elsewhere as he needs it. Initially though I wanted to let him know that he had options. The info included my website so veteran sites are available to him.

fanaticbooks

Edited by halos2

• HadIt.com Elder
I am not a mod but I wanted to chirp in here. I am a printer mogul too. I ask the questions, copy the replies and give it to them to make their choice/choices. One is 86 yrs old not about to think about utalizing the computer. Is reluctant to even try. Thats another reason I am on my 3rd printer, haha. I am a fanatic with different colored highlighters too. Question 1 color, answers another, also change colors related to subject matter. My books are highlighted with maybe 6-8 colors plus colored paper clips...my VBM is starting to look rather rainbowish too.

Seriously I live in a very rural area where a vet rep may come to a neighboring town 1 or 2 times a month and drives a few hrs to get there so that doesn't leave much time. I spoke to this person 2x on the phone and discovered I knew more than she did but she was willing to learn.

Va hosps are 120, 137, 157 miles away and more. Clinics are almost a bad a travel too.

If I hear about a vet sinking/or not knowing what to do I copy the processes from our infamous web sites and hand it over...The latest is Viet Nam vet who contracted hep c and now diabetic. Finally got him to put in a claim. If I can help someone, I will try, and if I don't know the answers I know what resourses to use, and you can bet your butt I will search anywhere.

No one, I do mean no one helped me in the beginning, and it was trial by error... bought Roche's books, leggets, and about 15-20 more, at least, then I found watchdog(Larry and Jim), and vet friendly site at msn changed to yahoo, one at yuku, col dan, veterans to vet ,then I found hadit via another vet site. There are others too but I do not frequent them as much.

Am greatful if I am able to help anyone at all, and for the outpouring of help on these user friendly

The day someone thinks they know it all

WOW, halos, sounds like you are really, really organized. With organization like that, I'll bet that you are a great help to anyone that is lucky enough to have you as a resource!

I was once upon a time an engineer and pretty well organized (had to be) but, heck, anymore I can't even remember from one minute til the next what I was doing or going to do. Any type of organization has long since ceased.

I'm proud of you.

LarryJ

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Berta,

I agree and I'm sure Lady T is for all claimant's to jump on the Hadit bandwagon.

It sure makes helping people much more difficult going thru 3rd and 4th parties.

And as many of us who have been doing this quite a while find out (way down the road)

sometimes people don't understand why VA denied or gave a lower rating,

and they will say several different things.

Then when you finally see the rating decision for yourself - you realize what the claimant told you -- is not what is stated in the rating decision.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

some vets i help don't even have a home,much less a computer.so helping any way we can is all the help they get.some are blind,feeble,fragile.....do we just say no,you have to have a laptop????

some vets i help don't even have a home,much less a computer.so helping any way we can is all the help they get.some are blind,feeble,fragile.....do we just say no,you have to have a laptop????

jim n ok,

How or where do you hook up with the vets you are helping ?

I do it at the VA, Vet Center, grocery store,neighbors,flea markets etc....

You posted,

"do we just say no,you have to have a laptop????"

What train of thought are you on ?

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.