Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav, Keep'em Or Fire'em?

Rate this question

Domepeace

Question

All,

I have a claim pending in D.C. (BVA). This claim has been ongoing since 2004. I call D.C. to ask what the hold-up is and they tell me that my file is with DAV in D.C. and BVA is waiting on DAV to review it and send it back to them for a rating decision.

I call DAV in D.C. and they tell me they are back-logged and it will take about nine months for them to get to my file. I'm wondering should I fire DAV and have my case decide ASAP? Mind you, when I looked at my c-file, DAV pretty much regurgitated what I had researched and written in my statement. It appears that DAV is not really adding to my case.

I'm not sure if I can even fire DAV and get them to send my file back to the BVA. This whole situation was brought on because I also have two cases at my RO; in which they said via letter that they do not have access to my file because it is stuck in D.C. They also said I would have to wait until my claim in D.C. is finished before they can proceed on my RO cases. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Domepeace

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Was going to fire DAV in Waco a month ago when I called them rep said he was meeting with VA that day if I wanted to settle. Reason being he was leaving end of week to go to work for VA, God help Vets with a claim.

I called my Congressman when I had been told by DAV their would be No award letter, and would I take 3-08 as start date. Neither do I understand, thought it was only a Wco problem. Called County Vet Assitance for Award date referced DAV said said +++if u can't say nothing nice don't say anything---- she said u would be amazed complaints. Call someone else and ask about firing.

ausgmblr

I'm seriously thinking about it. I've used them once before when I was rated 10% which was increase to 40%; I don't think they did anything special. Currently I have a claim pending and when I call to ask questions they are never and I mean never available. I've left my name and phone number on multiple occasions still waiting for a call back. I've learned more here about how to handle my case than a service officer has ever told me. Can you tell I'm frustrated :)

• HadIt.com Elder
john999,

Thanks for the reply. My DAV rep never advised me of a personal hearing (I'm not sure if they are supposed to). Just all the reason to get rid of DAV. I'm going to do some research on a personal hearing since I don't know the pro's or con's about it.

Thanks again,

Domepeace

How do you request a hearing with a traveling board?

• HadIt.com Elder

Since the AMC denied me, and the reasons were beyond stupid. DAV waived my 30 day waiting period. Now I am gathering additional items and would like to know if I can request a hearing with the board before they read what was written by the AMC and deny me. I am assuming this unless the BVA would think based on the evidence that the AMC were a bunch of incompetents (many).

• HadIt.com Elder

When you file your Form 9 you can ask for a traveling board. I think if you claim is at the BVA you could ask for a traveling board, but it might add time to your claim and I mean years from what some have said. When your VSO does not give you good advice to begin with it gets harder to correct these mistakes later. I think that almost all of the time it is better to get a personal hearing with the VA. The impression you make on the board member or DRO matters. It can mean more than a pile of paperwork, not to say written evidence is not crucial.

• HadIt.com Elder
When you file your Form 9 you can ask for a traveling board. I think if you claim is at the BVA you could ask for a traveling board, but it might add time to your claim and I mean years from what some have said. When your VSO does not give you good advice to begin with it gets harder to correct these mistakes later. I think that almost all of the time it is better to get a personal hearing with the VA. The impression you make on the board member or DRO matters. It can mean more than a pile of paperwork, not to say written evidence is not crucial.

Ok, I think you are correct. I need to find out how to reach them to file the form.