Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Bothersome Trend

Rate this question

purple

Question

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

{off soapbox now}

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am a seizure patient.

I am RX'd well over 15 different drugs per day.

In all the RX pamplets I get, at least 12 mention seizure as side effect.

I have been aware of this since I began taking medications.

It is better for me to treat most of my medical conditions, (even with the risk of lowering

my seizure thresh-hold) than to not treat my medical conditions.

Several years back I checked out my POSSIBLE drug interactions and had 43 of them.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone who takes meds should not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I was recently put back on an anti-depressent (Wellbutrin) that I'm going to stop taking. Why? Side effects and the fact that I should've never been prescribed it in the first place. It has a warning that it shouldn't be given to pts with heart disease.

I'm not going to keep taking it, risk further damage to my heart & then file a claim. Duh, no. I'm just going to stop taking the med that is making me sicker.

I'll print out that info, highlight it and take it to my next doc appt (and be using it as evidence for my fee-based request).

Carlie--my son has (had) seizures as well. He takes Trileptal and that has been the only med that has completly stopped his seizures. He used to have between 25-30 per night. His seizures were only in his sleep. It's a wonder drug for him...the only side effect he has experienced is that it makes him slightly drowsy. I know that not all meds work for all ppl, especially when it comes to anti-seizure meds...he's been on so many meds. But just wanted to pass this info along.

purple,

Trileptal is quite a good anti-seizure medication but it had the

same side effects on me that Tegretol did, about the third dose

I took I had to spend a few days in the hospital.

I am so glad it has worked out well for your son.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

I take Neurontin or gabapentin an anti seizure med for side effects. It helps me with painful neuropathy

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.