VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Denied 1st Time

Rate this question

out_here04

Question

VA rated 100 percent sc for anxiety/depression, various other. Finally applied for SSD this year and got denial letter recently after they reviewed VAMC records, pre-VA records, etc. Should I keep trying? If VA says I can't work, how can SS come back and say I can? Con-f'in-using...

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It happens but usually the other way around. I suggest that you find a Social Security Lawyer it will cost some of your back pay but there is a limit that is controlled by Social Security.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe the official initial denial rate for SSDI is about 70%. You'll probably need to get to the ALJ appeal level to win and may want an atty. You might want to try http://nosscr.org/ for an atty in your area.

pr

VA rated 100 percent sc for anxiety/depression, various other. Finally applied for SSD this year and got denial letter recently after they reviewed VAMC records, pre-VA records, etc. Should I keep trying? If VA says I can't work, how can SS come back and say I can? Con-f'in-using...
Edited by Philip Rogers

Hi OutHere,

Sorry about your denial.

Philip is correct on @60-70% initial denial, because Social Security is Designed To Deny.

Usually you will be denied again at the reconsideration level, where it's @84% denial.

Then you hire a lawyer and are Allowed.

http://www.social-security-disability.net/

Don't give up! :unsure:

Did they say why they denied?

Are you sure they had all your records? i.e. did you send your records in yourself or did you rely on the SSA to get them. If the latter is true, they may not have had all of the pertinent info.

I'd make sure of all of these things before knocking on attorney's doors. Just a thought.

out_here04,

I would sign up with a SSA law firm right now and have them appeal the denial.

It's well worth what they are allowed to be paid out of your first SSA check.

carlie