Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Are Claims Taking?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

How long are claims taking? Jusy wondering,, as I just started mine... it looks like about a year...

not counting unforessen circumstances...

sorry if this is already in some other thread..

Thanx..

alos, is the length of time it takes regional?

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

there is an article at VAtchdog for tommorow from Jim who writes the VA claims questions answers for the column and he is saying that right now the average is 24 months nationwide but I am sure some places are faster than others

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Everyone's claims are different, so it seems that everyone has different wait times.

Backlogs are worse in some areas.

I guess you can go with the 24 month figure and be happy if it comes early. some have, some haven't.

Personally I've am just trying not to count the days/weeks/months.

Eric

How long are claims taking? Jusy wondering,, as I just started mine... it looks like about a year...

not counting unforessen circumstances...

sorry if this is already in some other thread..

Thanx..

alos, is the length of time it takes regional?

They very from RO to RO some are better than others and some are just better screwing up than other, at worse case 2 years normally bout year or less depending on your circumstances. This is why its so hard to give a set date. Good Luck Yog..

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

The 24 month figure is rather optimistic and assumes you will get approved for the rating you want on the first go around which almost never happens. Usually there is at least one appeal, most of the time that is remanded, and you begin the hamspter wheel all over again. Realistically, counting almost inevetible appeals, it takes 5 years to get benefits. 2 years for a decision at the regional office...another 2 years for an appeal and remand, and another year to implement the remand. Mine took seven years, including appeals. Since the backlog of claims has about doubled in the past year and is now almost 1 million, if the VA can keep the backlog from going to 2 million claims (and I doubt it..the backlog of claims keeps getting bigger and never smaller regardless of multiple politicians who have all promised to reduce the backlog), you can realistically see benefits in 10 years. However, if the backlog of claims keeps on the pace it has been, you probably wont get your benefits for about 20 years.

There was one Veteran, in Ohio, who ACTUALLY got benefits in the VA reported 6 months, however, she was a very rare exception. Since you have not gotten your benefits in a year, obviously you are not going to be that extremely rare exception who gets their benefits in 6 months.

Edited by broncovet

I helped with 2 very fast decisions here in NY-

but the veterans both had very probative evidence and the VA got the evidence with the claims they filed.It only took months.

Then again I sent in evidence with my claim in Feb 2003 and continued to send in evidence but it took until April 2009 for anyone at VA to read it.

Same VARO as above vets-

It is almost impossible to guess how long any claim will take.

My neighbor sent in his SMRs with his claim and he already had a medical opinion. His claim took 8 months.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Most initial claims get an answer in less than a year. If you just got out they seem to go faster. If its been a long time since you separated it takes a lot longer. The VA is expediting OAF/OIF claims.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.