Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Topic/forum

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

It would have been very helpful to me and I suspect many others to have a resource based on members experiences and recommendations on which to base their selection of a Veterans Service Organization specifically rating the members assistance received on their claim from the organization.

Not a place to flame any particular organization but to give specific examples and facts both good and bad. I have found that once you have chosen a VSO and signed the power of attorney it is difficult if not impossible to change organizations.

I could have saved myself much grief had I known from the beginning what to expect and the experiences of others, in particular in specific geographic areas since service would vary from VARO VSO Office or even local chapters.

That would have saved me much time and money had I known then what I know now. I hate for that knowledge to go to waste. I am sure many members have much to contribute in this area.

Just a suggestion

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have read posts from a few of you where you mention that you gave your VSO's money...what the heck for? I have used American Legion, VFW, & DAV and have not found one of them worth the gun powder to blow them up. I am past the NOD waiting for my SOC and decided to get a lawyer cuz even though I have a law degree and could do this stuff myself, with my PTSD I get too frustrated to deal with it. The lawyer keeps my blood pressure down and prevents me from going head hunting at the VARO. Yes, he does charge 20% of the back pay, but he charges nothing up front and pays the costs of the IMO's and IME's so I am not out of pocket anything until I get my award...if I do! I am not soliciting for him, but his name is Mark Lippman with the Veteran's Law Group and he only does VA cases after the NOD has been filed (you can google him), he works in any state. The thing that I liked about him is that he won't take a case unless he feels he has a good chance to win it.

If you have the ability to focus on this stuff, like Carlie...then you can do it yourself...I did until I got frustrated after the NOD process. I used Hadit and got great advice to get me to 80%!

This would be a case in point. I called the DAV RO for a list of reduced cost lawyers, not that I need one right now, but I always gather up info when available and the VAMC DAV Rep told me to call. I called, the receptionist said they don't have one of those, then I heard this click sound.

I don't need one but you never know so I will write it down.

thank you, all information is good for me. You have already done more for me than my so called rep.

Edited by cannoncocker

If a vet writes a check or gives cash for dues to a service rep that is one thing but NO ONE should CHARGE a vet for help with their claim-unless this is a lawyer with a valid fee agreement.

No rep or advocate should ever ask a vet for money to help with their claim.

If they do please report them to the Office of General COunsel or the IG or both-----

I can see paying a high student a few bucks to perhaps type up your NOD and copy your evidence etc-or mayve for doing some good research work to help track down a buddy for a buddy statement but no one should say they will help with a claim for a fee-unless they are a lawyer- asccredited to charge a fee by VA.

We had 2 local VAMC out patients -one used to work for the AL-who charged a good friend of mine HUNDREDS of dollars to 'help with his claim." They did diddly squat for him.

One of them was reported to the AL and the VA by another vet he charged money to and the other vet doing this left town.

Yes -the vet orgs can solicit donations that go directly to the org or ask for dues-but they are chartered by Congress to provide free services to veterans for the claims process.

berta, or other member knowledgable regarding VSO funding, I am curious regarding the funding of Legally Chartered Veteran Service Organizations, and it is this:

Are VSO's (The Organizations and/or Veteran Service Officers) funded soley by donations, dues, various fund raisers or funded by Congress alone or a combination? Really I guess the question are they, the Officers and Organizations, funded by taxpayer dollars? Please say it is donation and due driven, please.

It would be incomprehensible that they could continue to function on donation and dues alone.

Edited by cannoncocker

• HadIt.com Elder

heard some 'representatives' are paid outta the state coffers, that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't give them any money. I belong to a few veteran organizations, pay my dues, which in turn supports gaming licensing and community events. Since the groups do well in charity contributions and since I am in a budget minded family, it all balances out.

berta, or other member knowledgable regarding VSO funding, I am curious regarding the funding of Legally Chartered Veteran Service Organizations, and it is this:

Are VSO's (The Organizations and/or Veteran Service Officers) funded soley by donations, dues, various fund raisers or funded by Congress alone or a combination? Really I guess the question are they, the Officers and Organizations, funded by taxpayer dollars? Please say it is donation and due driven, please.

It would be incomprehensible that they could continue to function on donation and dues alone.

Edited by cowgirl

• HadIt.com Elder

The DAV Chapter I belonged to shared income with other Dalas Chapters. I think that it amounted to over 22,000 s month and they owned pretty expensive real estate.

I know I was told that National DAV had big time resources.

heard some 'representatives' are paid outta the state coffers, that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't give them any money. I belong to a few veteran organizations, pay my dues, which in turn supports gaming licensing and community events. Since the groups do well in charity contributions and since I am in a budget minded family, it all balances out.

Hi there cowgirl, thank you for the education.

The county reps I figured but didn't really see the state coming in. This could just go on and on so we are just in a loop. I have personally seen my local chapter do some good stuff, but it was strictly local. The further from the vets it seems the less bang for your buck but then we have examples that show otherwise. We'll just have to make our own determinations on what works and who works.

My beef is that they totally misrepresented what they would provide in the way of claim assistance. Had they come at me saying they needed donations for a Van or even they needed somebody to drive it, just the truth please. this stuff about not responding to your faxes or calls is just beyond the acceptable line for me. Obviously others have had the same experience and others 180 degree different. So it is right where we figured it would be. I do believe the statement that when you do hit a good officer, they will burn out in a few years. But each claim is a personal journey pretty much so the people you meet are going to vary. I have no use for a group that will lie and dodge me, ignore me etc. the local chapter is ok but the in fighting is a little more than I care for so I'd just rather come here get the info and do it myself and maybe donate to the local chapter in cash.

No fighting, no lying as far as I know here. Much preferable, but that is just me. I have nothing else to say about this. I personally think our tax/personal money is wasted on the Veteran Service Officers at the Regional Office level. Not written in stone, just my experience. They've straight up lied and ignored me enough to convince me they are there for one reason. A stinking pay check. Nothing personal at all. Reminds me of the recordings of the people selling power to the Calif. residence and laughing at how they were ripping them off.

Whatever, Im done with the subject. Pointless and not a thing I can do about it.

I do think there is a consensus that they should and could do a better job.

Good luck guys