VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Topic/forum

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

It would have been very helpful to me and I suspect many others to have a resource based on members experiences and recommendations on which to base their selection of a Veterans Service Organization specifically rating the members assistance received on their claim from the organization.

Not a place to flame any particular organization but to give specific examples and facts both good and bad. I have found that once you have chosen a VSO and signed the power of attorney it is difficult if not impossible to change organizations.

I could have saved myself much grief had I known from the beginning what to expect and the experiences of others, in particular in specific geographic areas since service would vary from VARO VSO Office or even local chapters.

That would have saved me much time and money had I known then what I know now. I hate for that knowledge to go to waste. I am sure many members have much to contribute in this area.

Just a suggestion

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, impossible but that is such BS, cuz it's only because they're lazy. I have no use for "any" of the national orgs VSO's, 'cept maybe the VVA's but I've had no experience w/them. The others, in my opinion, SUCK!!!!!! And are not worth a penny they are paid. Actually, I have no use for the most of the national orgs as they sh*t on us when we came home. jmo

pr

It would have been very helpful to me and I suspect many others to have a resource based on members experiences and recommendations on which to base their selection of a Veterans Service Organization specifically rating the members assistance received on their claim from the organization.

Not a place to flame any particular organization but to give specific examples and facts both good and bad. I have found that once you have chosen a VSO and signed the power of attorney it is difficult if not impossible to change organizations.

I could have saved myself much grief had I known from the beginning what to expect and the experiences of others, in particular in specific geographic areas since service would vary from VARO VSO Office or even local chapters.

That would have saved me much time and money had I known then what I know now. I hate for that knowledge to go to waste. I am sure many members have much to contribute in this area.

Just a suggestion

You are my genius of the day! And that is exactly my (not very) covert point. They are lazy useless SOB's in my experience. I just wish I could have gone to this forum and looked up XXXX VSO and gotten the drift that you are on your own and if you expect someone on God's green earth to help you other than the members here, for free I might add, you iz sadly mistaken, wasting your dwindling cash, an deluding yourself. I think people should know and that information should be readily available.

I have a DRO coming up. I would be as well off sacraficing a goat in my back yord to the lord of VA's than call my VSO, as if he'd take my call. They will send you a letter on ocassion when you won on your own.

No Phillip, that is not just your opinion, as a matter of fact the majority of vets I have spoken to agree with that assessment.

Edited by cannoncocker

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually the VSO at the RO's are usually a lot better than the ones who hang out at the VAMC's

I think that Hadit is my bible but I still have a VSO. If Larry becomes one I will switch to him

what you say is undoubtedly true about the VSO's at the RO's are more informed and in a physical location to help you. Further just because I had a bad experience would be really stupid of me to paint them all with ze broad brush. My personal problem is from the get go, the local DAV cmdr. applied for my claim on the wrong form. Ok fine, no harm no foul, but at that point i really had no idea about this system and how/where/what made it work. So in fact I needed someone to hold my hand through this maze. I would hope you can tell by my writting that I am not arrogant nor do I think I know it all. I am not and do not. Bt I am smart enough to know when I am out of my league. So I sent in documentation, SMR's and VA record via cert., return rec. requested till they were ready to water board me. They flat out told me not to respond to the VA, I asked them do not respond, they said you will know what to respond to etc. Do not send them any more paper. Now none of this would have occured had they responded to my phone calls, or faxes. So they just ignored me till it smowballed into a big mess. I submitted a claim for one thing. Somehow it turned into about 11 items, some of which like residual from the flu or similar. I told them I didn't even know what that was.

So now I have no choice but deal with the guy at the DAV Asheville VAMC since the guys I sent all the money to will not answer my calls unless I go to their supervisors supervisor. I pay for that. I wish some place somebody had wised me up to that scenario. I would have researched this then moved on it. I learn fast so I doubled my rating out of the gate. Not being what I initially claimed. That is what I am DRO Hearing for.

Back on topic, we really need, or more accurately, it would be beneficial to many people that were in my position to determine what is best for them. I have contacted other organizations but as soon as they hear the DAV has my power of attorney, click, game over.

Hear I am, getting ready to defend myself and the DAV is nowhere to be seen. Would you reccommend them. Even if they are put out with me, as long as I am civil, it seems to me they are obligated to assist me since they have my money and done zero for me. Seems like a refund would be in order. If someone from the DAV reads this then feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to provide you the facts.

I am glad you have found a source of definitive info but you already pretty much know what you need to know. I can assure you that is the exception and not the rule, and the DAV could not care less.

Need a place to put this and opposing views, which I hope are out there.

• HadIt.com Elder

Personally, I believe you are your best advocate! As previously stated I have no use for VSO's. I started my claim back in early '89. Dealing w/the DAV, I learned the hard way. I moved to where my RO was located. Back then, no internet access. The VA set me up in a room w/M-21, which was on a cart about 8ft long. I learned. Had they given my what I was due, I'd have gone quietly away. Alas, they didn't. As of now, I've helped at least 30 other vets get 100% or TDIU. Shame on them! I took the NVLSP's mail order advocate course. I already knew more than the course taught. About 5 yrs back I was going to take the VVA's VSO training but there was concern that I'd lose my 100%. I'm 20 yr protected now and worn out. I don't have the interest now. I only post here when someone else can't answer or misinformation is mistakenly given.

You don't need anyone. You can find everything here but you should spend the $135 for a 2009 copy of the Veterans Benefit Manual(VBM), from either LexusNexus or the NVLSP. Everything you need to know is in there.

pr

what you say is undoubtedly true about the VSO's at the RO's are more informed and in a physical location to help you. Further just because I had a bad experience would be really stupid of me to paint them all with ze broad brush. My personal problem is from the get go, the local DAV cmdr. applied for my claim on the wrong form. Ok fine, no harm no foul, but at that point i really had no idea about this system and how/where/what made it work. So in fact I needed someone to hold my hand through this maze. I would hope you can tell by my writting that I am not arrogant nor do I think I know it all. I am not and do not. Bt I am smart enough to know when I am out of my league. So I sent in documentation, SMR's and VA record via cert., return rec. requested till they were ready to water board me. They flat out told me not to respond to the VA, I asked them do not respond, they said you will know what to respond to etc. Do not send them any more paper. Now none of this would have occured had they responded to my phone calls, or faxes. So they just ignored me till it smowballed into a big mess. I submitted a claim for one thing. Somehow it turned into about 11 items, some of which like residual from the flu or similar. I told them I didn't even know what that was.

So now I have no choice but deal with the guy at the DAV Asheville VAMC since the guys I sent all the money to will not answer my calls unless I go to their supervisors supervisor. I pay for that. I wish some place somebody had wised me up to that scenario. I would have researched this then moved on it. I learn fast so I doubled my rating out of the gate. Not being what I initially claimed. That is what I am DRO Hearing for.

Back on topic, we really need, or more accurately, it would be beneficial to many people that were in my position to determine what is best for them. I have contacted other organizations but as soon as they hear the DAV has my power of attorney, click, game over.

Hear I am, getting ready to defend myself and the DAV is nowhere to be seen. Would you reccommend them. Even if they are put out with me, as long as I am civil, it seems to me they are obligated to assist me since they have my money and done zero for me. Seems like a refund would be in order. If someone from the DAV reads this then feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to provide you the facts.

I am glad you have found a source of definitive info but you already pretty much know what you need to know. I can assure you that is the exception and not the rule, and the DAV could not care less.

Need a place to put this and opposing views, which I hope are out there.

I can afford that and understand exactly where you are coming from. I am not whining they won't help poor little me. I agree 100%. Who needs em. They can keep the money they ripped me off for but yes I'll get the book, the nexus ltr. and move on. Just hate to see history repeating itself, that of course is how they make aliving, dangling the bait, well bait and switch seems to be appropriate. but no, I don't need them and I tell anybody that slows up not to waste their money. They will take your cash and feed you to the sharks.

And no that is not just my humble opinion. That is many's humble opinions. I doubled my rating and did they lift a finger, no! they told me to stop sending them paper and don't respond to the VA. Excellent menu for failure.