Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso Topic/forum

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

It would have been very helpful to me and I suspect many others to have a resource based on members experiences and recommendations on which to base their selection of a Veterans Service Organization specifically rating the members assistance received on their claim from the organization.

Not a place to flame any particular organization but to give specific examples and facts both good and bad. I have found that once you have chosen a VSO and signed the power of attorney it is difficult if not impossible to change organizations.

I could have saved myself much grief had I known from the beginning what to expect and the experiences of others, in particular in specific geographic areas since service would vary from VARO VSO Office or even local chapters.

That would have saved me much time and money had I known then what I know now. I hate for that knowledge to go to waste. I am sure many members have much to contribute in this area.

Just a suggestion

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Off topic: could somebody give me any general idea what a local IMO from an Osteo/Neurologist/Chiropractor would cost (any). Any ball park figure: I have SMR's/MRI's 2006 and 2008/MRI radiology evaluations/Neurology consult for December 2008.

Does need to be precise, just a educated guess for lumbar injury. I just want to know what I am jumping into, since my billfold isn't quite as deep as the US Treasury.

cannon,

I'd say roughly $400. - $1,000. would be about right.

jmho,

carlie

cannon,

I'd say roughly $400. - $1,000. would be about right.

jmho,

carlie

Thanks for the estimate: cancel the rest. Just silly feel sorry for myself junk. As you were.

Honest. I was/am concerned about several things in my up coming DRO Hearing.

1. That being pretty close to the top, the cost of a decent rebuttal to their non exiestant claims.$400. - $1,000 is doable, so that is ok.

2. It is getting harder and harder to be as mobil as I was and this requires me to go hear and there, do this and that. The meds for my sinus tachycardia/arrythmia hypertension aren't as effective as they once were and being light headed and short of breath is being more of an obstacle. Not to mention the point at hand, being the lumbar injury, with the concomitant pain a reduced range of motion, which just makes riding in the car anunpleasant experience. Plus it is getting harder to concentrate.

3. Just as worrisome is my concern about them reducing the benefits they have just increased. There would be no medical reason for the DRO to do that since I am only requesting the hearing on the lumbar injury, which they denied, but I don't see anything interferring with their vindictive nature to do that. Yes I have a family that will care for me but do I want to be a 100% drain? Well, of course not.

It is a hard decision to make. Go ahead and fight like I should or accept their decision a duck like a coward.

Just being honest and I know I am not the only one to wrestle with this dilema.

Plus I know I am in this by myself. Believe me when I tell you the W-S DAV will not provide any assitance to me at the DRO Hearing 225 bucks or not.

Edited by cannoncocker

CC,

I feel your pain in almost 3 years I have never heard one word from the DAV in Winston-Salem. The rep who helped me at the local level is good but the people at the RO have done nothing other than ask for money once I was service connected. I called once and they never returned my call. I have done it all on my own I send my information to the RO registered mail then I send the DAV a copy just so they have a copy for my file in case. I plan to go to my DRO hearing alone I feel hadit has prepared me.

CC,

I feel your pain in almost 3 years I have never heard one word from the DAV in Winston-Salem. The rep who helped me at the local level is good but the people at the RO have done nothing other than ask for money once I was service connected. I called once and they never returned my call. I have done it all on my own I send my information to the RO registered mail then I send the DAV a copy just so they have a copy for my file in case. I plan to go to my DRO hearing alone I feel hadit has prepared me.

You can wait 50 years and if you think the DAV at W-S is going to call you, there will be cobb webs on the phone.

KW, I could have written that, signed it and sold as a biography. There are some differences. They flat told me to stop sending them paper=evidence. They told me all they do is file it. That is a valuable service. So I went a little outside the box and went to the office suppervisor. Well suprise suprise an organization generally is no better than its leader and that was the case here. Well, here I come at Mr. Reese, the DAV big guy, who in fairness to him has more to do than chase my paper trail, but 2 times he put the heat on the W-S Office. They got my file, reviewed it, narrowed down all the BS that I have mentioned elsewhere, and then become so inflamed with me I believe they refer to me as the "Great Satan". They didn't wait for me to get SC, they wanted my cash up front. I came in with 30% via AMVETS who didn't have my power of attorney but somehow one of their VSO's had my file or was in the office and skimmed my file and got me CAD SC without my knowledge. Anyway back to the story, that heat I generated lasted oh i'd say just long enough to dictate a ltr. back to Mr. Reese saying all was wonderful.

They are just simply beyond redemption. They take every Friday off for tng., I presume which is the fine art of avoiding veterans and any form work that may present itself.

Sending the RO regestered mail. I do that too, but consider this, who are you going to show those slips too that gives a.... that goes for the VA or the DAV. I have plenty of certified slips and even early on return receipts, have them in a box, and as far as I know the best use for them would be starting the fireplace. I found just duplicating my actions intentions etc. on the IRIS system was cheaper and equally effective.

You are right that the locs are at least wel intentioned, but have limited experience. They submitted my claim on the wrong form. Many opinions on how to proceed at any given point. You did the right thing by taking the reins and going it alone. I basically, as you did, I did it alone period and went from 30% to 70% plus 0% for bilateral hearing loss which by a algebraic/calculi formula only the government could devise rated me at 60%. Denied the one thing I originally applied for. Insane.

I have Emergency room Injury notes/Unit Aid station notes/2MRI's that show Disc Degenerative Disease/extruded/protruded/pinched S1 nerve spent 6.5 years lifting projos over my head that weigh considerably more than I do, far in excess of the NIOSH Lifting Chart, worked sitting in a chair primarily after the military, but I have not proven the orgin of my lumbar injury. the law gernaerally works on "what a reasonable person would do/believe". Obviously they have a different system worked out. What would be unreasonable about believing I injured my back lifting 150 plus lbs over my head with no lifting handles for years as opposed to sitting in a chair?

I just don't see how these people, in the face of zero help, a government that just plain lies: example SLR test. Google that. follow the instructions. You pass. Well mysteriously I was SLR negative. How do they continue? I am lossing faith. Honestly I am dead tired of thinking about all things VA. I know they depend on that but gathering up the disc images again, blah-blah I am 100% SC disgusted with the VA and DAV and just ready to rest my mind and body.

I am rated at 30% sinus tachycardia which I'm sure the majority here knows exactly what that is but the effect is it makes it difficult to walk far without bending over being out of breath. So all in all My hat is off to the people that can dig deep and fight on. I don't know I can. Heaven knows the DAV hopes not care. Same with he VA except they probably do care, care that I drop dead.

I'll take a few days off and see.

I salute you for going 3 years. I just don't know. I am so sorry that the DAV has treated someone, that has tanacity and the strength to do what you have done, so badly. I just don't have the words for that.

Lots a luck GI

cannon & kw,

If you have SO's I suggest you go to their office with

your best evidence and hash over how your hearings will go.

At the SO's office you might not get to do this with the

same SO that will attend the hearing with you but it

would still be about the same.

Since you have these SO's hold their feet to the fire and

be sure they at least attend the hearing with you.

They should also actually meet with you where the hearing is

being held about an hour prior to the hearing to talk things out.

At your hearing stay focused on the issues of your claim.

If you have to, print out what you need to say and read it

outloud at the hearing so it becomes part of the written transcripts.

Remember if you forget to mention something, it's like it never happened.

At the hearing - forget talking about emotional statements like:

Well I figured that since I served my country then I thought

my country would be there for me, and it isn't and it's hard

for me to accept and understand this. I can't get any good

treatment at the VAMC for my PTSD and this just is not fair to veterans etc...

A hearing is not the place for any of this type of emotional response.

Sometimes VA can also turn something like that around to use against you

and it will just get you nowhere fast.

Stick with the issues such as stating:

In the rating decision dated XX/XX/XXXX concerning my claim for SC of a knee injury

was dened and this rating decision states there is no evidence in my SMR's of a knee injury.

The VA did not list as evidence or discuss in the Reasons and Bases Section of this decision

the facts that, SMR's dated XX/XX/XXX and XX/XX/XXXX from TMC 3 at Ft. Hood Texas

showing SM is being transfered to base ER for further treatment as Objective finding show evidence of compound fracture.

As shown by evidence dated XX/XX/XXXX, surgery was done at XXXXX.

Medical evidence dated XX/XX/XXXX shows physical therapy of XXXX.

MRI result dated XX/XX/XXXX which is only 3 months after separation etc...

This is the approach I suggest at a hearing.

As always this is only my opinion.

Stay focused.

jmho,

carlie

I have had good advice from county VSO's both in CA and NJ... I was stationed in CA, and he had given me some very good advice prior to getting out... And then again when I moved to NJ... I used a county VSO and he had some very good advice on filing my claim and for filing my appeal... Over all I would give them a thumbs up...