VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bought New Laptop And Wireless Router

navydoc2

that last sentence should read:

OR you need to get your router (if attached to your desktop pc to call out to your laptop, with its IP address incoming from the source.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ORRR... call your DSI Internet Service Provider customer service or technical support and have THEM walk you through connection of your home network. they should be responsive since you are the customer who wants to fully utilize their fine product.

If you are using dsl your configuration should look something like this:

DSL modem - plugged into phone jack.

wireless router - plugged into DSL mdoem.

Make sure everything has lights on = power. Usually they will indicate you are online.

Your laptop should look for the wifi signal. It will then walk you through the log-in process.

If you've done all of the above, and disabled the firewall, and still no internet, try unplugging it all, then plugging it all back in.

If all else fails, yeah call your internet provideer.

If you are using dsl your configuration should look something like this:

DSL modem - plugged into phone jack.

wireless router - plugged into DSL mdoem.

Make sure everything has lights on = power. Usually they will indicate you are online.

Your laptop should look for the wifi signal. It will then walk you through the log-in process.

If you've done all of the above, and disabled the firewall, and still no internet, try unplugging it all, then plugging it all back in.

If all else fails, yeah call your internet provideer.

Thanks I tried that and I'm left with calling my ISP provider.

Thanks I tried that and I'm left with calling my ISP provider.

If you have your security settings on the ROUTER on (look for instructions on WEP for your router) then you will have to enter the MAC address for your wireless card into the router.

One other cause could be that when you hook up the DSL or cable to the router which will have a different address than your DSL or cable modem your ISP's system detects/will not reconize it because it has a different address than your DSL or cable modem. 99 percent of the the time this is the problem which causes you to pull you hair out cause no where in the dang instructions for your new router does it tell you that changing from your already in place modem (which is actually a router) will require a call to your ISP to let them know you have hooked up a wireless router. During the phone call once they have verified all of the security stuff on your account they will say, yep we see it and then authorize it - an low and behold you can now connect!

hopefully you've resolved this issue by now, navydoc.

if you haven't or for anybody trying the same, i offer a similar experience:

i've since my last post went back into my router to turn on the security feature, chose wep, as clownman mentioned. there are stronger selections but some hardware (such as the nintendo i mention below) does only up to wep.

this gets way involved and you learn new stuff like entering a ten-digit hex code (your router's password that prevents just anybody from the street or next door from tapping into your home network --i just wrote down one through ten (to get the right amount of numbers)and above each enter either a number between 0-9 or a letter A-F (this is computer science stuff and has to be that way) in any combination you write down or remember --write it down and keep it safe; by the way this is similar to when you activate a new cell phone with your phone company -- they need the ten digit number (hex code) from the area visible when you remove your battery).

on IP addresses, if this is the issue: i linked my wife's nintendo dsi (internet capable) to the router. the nintendo screen said to contact nintendo online for further assistance when i got stuck. at their web page it told how to insert into the nintendo the correct IP address (which was an increase by 10 of a last part of the IP address number to differentiate the two, sub mask host number (which is different) and a separate server number (which i think was the exact same as the IP address). because i had made my router secure (see above) i had to enter the hex-code number to get past my router's wep security feature.

the reason i mention the nintendo is because you may have to go through a similar process to get your laptop "talking" to your router and to ultimately get on the internet.

this can get quite frustrating if you still insist on doing it yourself, rather than contacting the internet service providers or geek squad, etc, so it helps to take breaks between so this doesn't overwhelm you. at least i had to.

hope this helps somebody out there in vetland

out