Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Is The Backlog Of Va Claims?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

If each Veteran waiting on the VA to process his claim were to line up, in Washington DC. How long would the line be? And how long would the wait be?

Answer: Not counting the backlog is Education benefits claims (the NEW GI BILL), if the 1,000,000 "backlogged" Veterans lined up, fingertip to finger tip, (Assuming 6 feet tall Veterans), the line would reach more than 1,136 miles. In other words, the line of Veterans waiting for benefits would stretch from Washington DC to Kansas City. Since Mr. Shinseki took over, the backlog has grown by about 15%, or the line has grown about 170 miles longer in the past year.

The wait averages about 2 years. The VA says that it takes about 6 months, however, since far less than 50% of Veterans claims get initial approval, an appeal process is required. Right now, a BVA appeal takes about 2 years. So the Average wait is about 2 years.

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I wonder if Moore has ever considered making a movie on the VA claims process.

Should write him to see if he will......I am not really a fan of his politics, but he has made some very good points in his movies that I have seen.......

Edit to add: Those that don't know, he donated money to his biggest enemy to help keep his anti Moore website going.....Because the website was shutting down because the owner had to pay medical stuff for his wife.......

Edited by rdnkjeeper

• HadIt.com Elder
... the line of Veterans waiting for benefits would stretch from Washington DC to Kansas City.

Outstanding analogy, Broncovet!!! That's quit a stretch, from Washington DC to Kansas City. I pictured all these poor vets with outstretched arms. I have been standing in that line for a long time. ROFL. Great visualization...

post-4811-1255872690_thumb.jpg

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

• HadIt.com Elder

That would be a longer line but I would give them 2 feet each and stand them up.

I for one know if you lay them down, a lot aint going to get back up.

Can you re calculate based on these parameters.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its not what the VA says but what it does. My general impression is that the VA is starting to crank out a lot more decisions than it used to.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, my impression is that the VA is indeed cranking out more decisions than before. My question is,... how many of these speedy decisions are denials??? The President and the Sec. of the VA have pushed for a faster process. However no one has mentioned quality over quantity.

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"