Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Your Advice

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

Let me start with a little background information, I am currently rated 80% with IU. My sc are 70% depression, 10% right knee, 10% tinnitis. This increase for IU was just recent in August. The last few months my blood pressure has been out of control and The docs have increased my meds but I still have pitting edema in both legs and run about 150/90 with the med increase. My psych doc has asked if I have ever been tested for sleep apnea since I complain of lack of sleep, chronic fatigue,and difficulty concentrating. I've had to drop out of Voc Rehab due to these symptoms. My vocrehab counselor is calling me infeasible. My questions are:

Should I just apply for P&T? I've applied for SSD and am waiting to hear back should I wait for this before applying for P&T

Should I apply for high blood pressure first then sleep apnea?

Should I wait to be tested for sleep apnea first before filing for high blood pressure?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am curious too whats the next thing for you. If you need a test for sleep apnea, ask for it? Who is treating you for your your HBP? My guess, which could be wrong or corrected by someone else here - put in for an increase. But, wait, you just got rated IU; so maybe NOD if you have the goods. Your psych 'asked' about sleep apnea so thats a start. And if the VA may have overlooked sc your HBP, followup. Of course, keep any Vocational Rehab paper that says 'infeasible', though I think since your IU thats a 'given'.

Just thought I'd post some ideas, no clear answers, sorry.

All the best to ya,

Cowgirl'up2009!

Let me start with a little background information, I am currently rated 80% with IU. My sc are 70% depression, 10% right knee, 10% tinnitis. This increase for IU was just recent in August. The last few months my blood pressure has been out of control and The docs have increased my meds but I still have pitting edema in both legs and run about 150/90 with the med increase. My psych doc has asked if I have ever been tested for sleep apnea since I complain of lack of sleep, chronic fatigue,and difficulty concentrating. I've had to drop out of Voc Rehab due to these symptoms. My vocrehab counselor is calling me infeasible. My questions are:

Should I just apply for P&T? I've applied for SSD and am waiting to hear back should I wait for this before applying for P&T

Should I wait to be tested for sleep apnea first before filing for high blood pressure?

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Thats one of my questions what would the appropriate time be to wait?

Edited by navydoc2

Hey, did you send in your IU award letter and Voc Rehab denial to SSD? Definetely do this soon if you haven't. This is heavy weight for your SSD claim. You can apply for P&T anytime.

dh

crazy-dog.jpg&h=94&w=133&usg=__KOn1hLijeKDD3LwW2tzES4paAcQ=

• HadIt.com Elder
Thats one of my questions what would the appropriate time be to wait?

You are a young vet, navydoc2, with school age children, and possibly new children in the future. I saw a C-span roundtable discussion with a VA rehab chief, discussing why a younger vet should not receive IU too early. "It could take away the incentive to seek gainfully employment." I know it's tough to admit to oneself, however, If you feel that you are permanently unemployable, and can prove it. you should consider the Chapter 35 benefits for your family. College for the young one's. You need to protect the benefits, so the VA will not take away the school assistance to your kids, when the time comes... When my son was in the 11th grade, I lost my P&TIU, and I had to NOD to get the P&T back to the original date. I am pleased to report that I did prevail, with the help of the DAV, that time. This was two decades ago.

A Hadit member more knowledgeable than this old obsolete vet, can fill you in on the details & chapter 35 protection dates....

Edited by Commander Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"