Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Are We Vets Missing Something Here?

Rate this question

jlshand

Question

Just checked on an earlier question to find the status of the bill intorduced in the House of Reps to allow legal representation for us earlier in the claims process. That bill with just two co-sponsers, has been referred to "committee" where it will die a quick (by congressional standards" death.

What caught my eye was another piece of interesting legislation which was introduced in February

of 2005 and also referred to committee. It called for action to reduce the backlog of claims at the VA and was co-sponsored by 38 representatives.

The bill, H.R. 616 was sponsored by 34 Democrats and 4 thats right 4 Republicans!

I'm reminded that a recent bill to require mandatory financing of the VA budget was defeated by the Republican majority along strict party lines. Included among the Nays was that staunch defender of we VETs and Naval war hero Sen John McCain himself!!!!

Now, I voted for Pres Bush and all my Texas republican congress people..... BUT without making a political contoversy out of this but rather a mere statement of the FACTS,

IF THE MAJORITY OF FOLKS IN THIS GREAT COUNTRY LEGITIMATELY VOTE THEIR SELF INTERESTS,

ARE WE VETS MISSING SOMETHING HERE?????????? :( B) :D

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There are all kinds of bills that never make it. I really am more interested in bills that pass.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veteran & Friends.

The majority of vets voted for Bush last electon. This happen even though there were major problems with CR and Comp claims and many other slap in the faces for veterans. 4 or 5 years ago one legislative person was so bold and to tell his fellow legislaturs not to worry about the Veterans vote. I guess they know soimething we dont, because so far they have had nothing to worry about.

Terry Higgins

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

People in Kansas vote for Bush and republicans at the same time their way of life is being exported to China. I don't understand it. It is like Hitler finding a scapegoat in the Jews to blame for everything. Bush is using terrorism to divert attention from his real agenda which is a massive transfer to wealth to the top 10% of Americans.

Veteran issues are never at the forefront during any election. Polititions simply state that they support Vet's and it is not questioned by the public. After all, who is going to say otherwize? There is no obvious opposition. Therefore, there is no issue to debate wich equalls to no choice for voters on Veterans issues.

Simply put, each representatives voting record must be locally brought to the attention of voters along with how it affects the local veterans. Only then will voters have a choice on Veterans issues.

Senator Craig personnally responded to my letter printed in the local paper pointing out his voting record against VA funding. A public responce by him shows that he is well aware of how his voting record will reflect on his future election.

Bills that don't pass are often as important as ones that do.

Time

I've been guilty more often of voting against someone who really offends me rather than for the other candidate based on his/her convictions. In 2000, the Republicans could have run a potted plant against Al Gore, and I would have voted for the plant, he offended me so. However, if the ticket had been reversed, I would have voted for Joe Lieberman and have held my nose when it came to Gore as VP. So, most of the time, I've voted Republican, but no more. Both my husband and I for some time now have been focused on one single issue regarding any candidate for state or federal office. Their voting record or position on veterans health and benefits funding, and the type of response we received from them when requesting their assistance on veterans issues.

I think for the most part disabled veterans are reluctant to organize and display their voting clout as a group. They are somewhat stoic in their attitude and don't draw attention to themselves in the manner that is truly needed in order to accomplish goals that benefit them as a group. My husband got past his initial reluctance to be viewed as a pain in the neck when it came to enforcing his rights as a disabled veteran. I on the other hand never had that reluctance, but then again, I never served in the military. My job now is making sure he has access to consideration consistent with 38 CFR.

I contact my state and federal representatives regularly to remind them that disabled veterans vote. Like I said in a previous posting, I have a bumper sticker that states, "Disabled Veterans Vote with Vengeance," and I don't want anyone to forget that.

Now, all we have to do is follow through.

• HadIt.com Elder

What all politicians quickly learn, is that voters are like sheep, as is most of the general public;you drive into a gas station, where there are 8 rows of pumps, and 6 have vehicles lined up waiting. What do you do?

Most people join an existing line, assuming that the 2 empty lines are not manned, don't have gas, or they just don't think, and they herd together like sheep. The thinking person at least checks out the two empty rows before joining the waiting lines.

95% of the voting public vote the wat thay do for invaild reasons. They want to be with the winner. They have always voted that way. They don't like voting for someone they never heard of before. They don't like his/her spouse. They don't like his her color/race/religion. They are too lazy to review his/her background and/or voting record. They think the local Democrats/Republicans have loused up the Local School Board/Council/Mayor's office, so they won't vote for that party anymore.

Most of the opposition is from the remaining 5%, who the politicians know they can safely ignore. Many of the bills that die in committee were never meant to do anything else. They are some politician's ammunition for telling a voter's block at home, "Well, look, I did something, I sponsored this bill that you wanted."

Until voters start to get serious about their votes, and realize how important they are; and are willing to spend some time doing background on the candidates, we will continue to have both Democrat and Republicans who are beholden to the Carlyle Group and their ilk, who want a Corporate America, ruled by a petty dictator who complies with their wishes, and to hell with the voting public. JUST LIKE WE HAVE NOW, and would have probably had UNDER KERRY.

If Veterans are serious about making a change, they MUST get inbolved at the grass roots level, to get sincere candidates, who really have a commitment to their avowed platform. Not a specious platform that is just a sop to the voters. Whether they be Independent/Republican/Democrat/Veteran's Party/GreenParty or any other kind of politician, until the voters take the time and expend the effort to meet and investigate them, so that they have the measure of the person they are voting for, your vote is wasted.

Remember the time when a DOG got elected in a local race???? How much did those voters know about the candidate?

Edited by wallyg

Fight the VA as if they are the enemy; for they are!

Erin go Bragh