Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Freezing And Denied

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

Hey all,

Well that was pretty quick of a decision letter. I just had my SSD doc appointment on the 4th and the letter is dated the 10. It took them six days to deny me. I just dont understand that they say I am not disable enough not to work a job out there of some sort. I guess it would be ok by them to drink and drive as well. I mean its like they are saying regardless that I am on narcotics and taking psych meds that alter my consciousness that I should get in my car and drive off to work. The VA says I am unemployable and they say go to work. I am so upset right now and the darn furnace went out for good. The heating guy says the coil has rusted out and some other problems and it cant be patched up that we need a new furnace. So my husband and daughter have been burning wood in the fireplace to keep us some what warm but I am freezing at the moment and upset. We just cant afford a brand new or used furnace this winter. We will probally have to buy some heaters and burn wood. This is such a slap in the face with SSD I know its not uncommon to have them deny deny deny, but its still just seems so wrong. I will definetely put in an appeal for reconsideration. I wonder what additional info I could give them and how to I ask them to look at the additional info. I havent worked in a few years and I am in a wheelchair most of the day and have alot of spasm, pain, lack of concentration, depression, anxiety, so I guess according to the SSDI none of that means a grain of salt to them just go find work and pop my pills on the way. ;)

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you are 100% from the VA have you thought about putting in for the IL program through the VA?........could help you get that Furnace.

Since you are 100% from the VA have you thought about putting in for the IL program through the VA?........could help you get that Furnace.

This is a good point. Also I would try my local utility company first Vs getting a loan to buy one. At any rate installing a new one regardless of how you get it will be better than the utility bill you are going to get from running all of those small ones plus the oven at 400 degrees!!!!!!!

When you are denied by SS its usually best to get a Lawyer.

Pete,

I think you are so right! There is really nice blog by an ALJ who currently hears cases in St. Louis. In his post on "Being Represented" he indicates that though some claims fall in the obvious approval category and some claims fall in the obvious denial category - a large portion of the claims are harder to decide, and that many can be won with competent representation.

http://edpitts.blogspot.com/2008/10/being-represented.html

Other posts about his hearings can be found at:

http://edpitts.blogspot.com/search/label/SSA%20hearing

In my own case (and my son's) I was unable to find competent representation (or even incompetent representation for that matter). Most attorneys don't seem to handle survivor claims.

However, we were VERY fortunate to have a competent Judge. ;) (The author of the blog was our Judge.)

Though we were eventually granted benefits, I believe the process would have been somewhat faster and a million times smoother if we would have had a (competent) lawyer. There were times when I didn't know if SSA was going to chew us up and spit us out, or just swallow us whole.

Give my regards to Mrs. Pete!

Free

• HadIt.com Elder

I suggest using those electric radiator-style heaters. They run about $35-$50 each. I used them last winter to heat my remodeled 385 sq ft garage, that I lived in and they kept it at 70 degrees, easily. Usually only needed one, except when it got below zero, here in VT. I found the ceramic type heaters, w/blowers, to be too expensive to run and annoyingly loud. That should easily sustain a livable temperature in GA. Also, most electric companies can't shut you off in the winter.

As for an SSDI atty you may want to check <http://www.nosscr.org/> for an atty in you area.

pr

Well the fireplace is blazing and I am a bit warmer and making the best of things. My husband says he's is going trying to take out a loan after the holidays to see about getting a furnace and probally do like you mention Navy Doc. BTW good luck on your exam. For us this loan is more debt and strain. We have about 3 space heaters that we borrowed from friends and they are all going right now and the oven is open on 400 degrees. So it'll do. The kids are bundle in jogging pants, socks and sweat shirts etc. Well I am going to file a reconsideration first and submit probally additional letters from the VA docs and then if that doesnt fly then I will hire a lawyer for the next level which is I believe is the ALJ and keep fighting with them. I know there are others in worse situations than I and waited alot longer for SSD, so I am just going to gear up for the fight as best I can. I am just really dissapointed right now. Erico I thought the same too. Yes it sucks Free spirit and I am really down right now about it all but I will make the best of it and wear lots of socks in the mean time. Anyways, happy holidays everyone and congrats to those who have been successful recently with SSD and VA. Thanks for all you guys support and guidance.
Edited by Philip Rogers

Free:

It is so nice to see you posting again and especially when you say Hi to Mrs Pete. :)

Ahhh... Your steadfast love for Mrs. Pete always shines through like a beacon. That's one thing I like about you. :)

Free