Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Commissary And Exchange Privileges

Rate this question

Kelly

Question

Guest Dataman

Don't bother with Gas. They match the local stations. Cheaper at Costco. Food some times are higher.

Space A is a joke.

It won't happen anyway. How would they get on base? No ID Card? It's a political move, not something ment to pass. Sort of like Full CR.

Any disabled Vet that wants my place in line can have it. The savings in the px/bx are minimal to nonexistent. Don't believe me, go to the aafes site www.aafes.com and see for yourself. Better yet go to the on base/post stores with a retired or active member and look at the prices. Unless recently changed anyone can go in if accompanied by an ID holder..

• HadIt.com Elder

Moe

Those wonderful retirement benefits are a joke. I did not retire but I am retired from federal civilian civil service. The pension I get sucks. My insurance takes up to almost half of what I get from the feds. My pension is offset by SSA. The only ones that get over are those guys in Congress.

For those who wont use the facilities anyway, that is not the point. Sign the petition for those that when they get these benefits, can feel like the government gives a crap about them. Bitching about what is, was, should be or isnt, is just wasting your breath. Bashing any type of vet is just what I was talking about before. If you get a leg blown off on day one of combat or serve x amount of years and come out worse off after the first time you said "I swear to support and Defend" should have the same benefits as those that made it 20+. Most disabled vets would trade all the checks and all benefits to not have to suffer every damn day with problems that were caused by military service. I know there are diabled vets out there milking the system, but screwing over the rest is wrong.

Sign the petition, write your congressman or get off the pot.

http://www.petitiononline.com/vetpet/petition.html

Edited by Kelly

Guest elizabeth
I've said it before I'll say it again. If you did not retire you should not be entitled to these benefits. This is just my opinion, but retirees worked for 20 plus years (in most cases) to be entitled to these and other benefits. I do not think someone who does two or three years should get these or other benefits, I don't care how disabled they are. These are called retirement benefits for a reason.
I disagree with you we are entitled to those benifits only 100% get them my husband was in japan in ww2 was in hospital 5 months he was in air force 2 years later he joined the navy in 1952 lucky him he got on the uss wasp they sunk the hobson 179 man were killrd my husband suffers ptsd sees a doctor weekley takes meds i might add he was also exposed to rasiation in japan you have some nerve to even question these benifits get on the web site and read about the greatest non war accident in naval history you are crazy to even question these benifits and any one who sings your pertisation is as crazy as you if you really want to help get congress to get a stamp for IRON hays bet you don;t know of him or what he did ELIZABETH

• HadIt.com Elder

Kelly, your right, Elizabeth, your right. The idea that 100% disabled veterns should not be allowed base privlidges is so far out of the main stream that it is not worth arguing with the opposition

However, I must defend the privilidge as being worth while. I go to the gym for free. I rent a boat slip in north San Diego bay on a Navy base for 60% of what slips rent for off base. I rent dry storage for two of my smaller boats on a base for about 70% of the price off base. I use the auto hobby shop garage. The cost of propane on the base is way less than Home Depot. I can get Port Supply (wholesale) prices on any of my boat needs by having them shipped to the base. Anything I buy on the base or have delivered to the base is exempt from sales tax. I do not now where you shop. I just came back from shopping. 30% savings at the commisary when compared to the local Vons. Milk, soup. fruit, shampoo, etc, There is only one gas station that even tries to match the commisary prices on gas on Point Loma. I am sure I forgot some stuff. Anyway I save $100.00's every month on slip fees, storage fees, and taxes.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use